brad hillard Avatar

He just left for Parris island today

Posted By: brad hillard 06-04-12

My son Sean left today for bootcamp and I am not handling it well. I am so proud of him and I know he will do well. Any advice for getting through these next couple of weeks would be helpful to my wife and I. Thanks

Idania Martinez Avatar

Other

My Stepson left for Parris Island on April 16, 2012, he had been preparing physically for about a year, we on the other hand, were scared and proud to see that he had made this decision and all we could do at this point was to support him. No one tells you that when he left we too would be going to boot camp, and no one prepares you for the next 13 weeks, thank God for all the stories that are shared, and almost everyone goes thru the same thing, from the first phone call, which left us in awe, we wanted to tell him so much and hear how his trip was, but instead all we heard was a loud voice with a scrip like message. After that we just waited for a letter with an address to where we could begin to send him letters, and a week after he left we received his address, when my son left he said he wouldn't be writing so not to be upset, he just didn't like to write, the first letter received was from him, he said to please forget what he had said, and to please write to him, he said he missed his family, and you can tell by the tone of his letter that he was very sad. We write him every day, we tell him how proud we are of him, and how much we love him, in many letters he has said how there has been time, that what kept him going has been our encouraging words. I can tell you to please write him all the time, even if you do not receive a letter back, the first couple of weeks are the hardest, and you will read it in his letters, we cried many times but there were others that we laughed, my son graduates next week on friday July 13th, however this thursday he faces his final phace the Crucible, we know that he will be tested to the highest level, mentally and physically but we know he will make it, at the end of this he would of become a US Marine. Please hang in there, and just keep writing to your son, some weeks will be better than others, but about the 5 or 6 week he will sound a little better. We have received about 27 letters from him and my sister in law another 27 letters, he has been writting daily, although he said he wouldn't, now we can't wait until next week, we have planned it since before he left, and finally it will be here next week. Continue reading the various sites that are available for marine parents, they have been very supportive and you will see that all of us have gone thru what you are going thru right now, and all the stories are the same. God bless you and your family !!!

Posted by: Idania Martinez on 07/03/2012

joseph gottlich Avatar

Family

My son left one week ago today, going from talking, texting and seeing him everyday to nothing has been a little harder than I thought it would be. As much as he drove me nuts as a teen, I know he will survive. As much as I want to enjoy the summer, I also want September to arrive. Thank God, time flies.

Can wait to see him on September 8th

Posted by: joseph gottlich on 06/17/2012

Douglas Jeffreys Avatar

My son graduated from MCRD Parris Island on May 25th, 2012. Here is what I can tell you. Your son has just accepted the hardest job he will ever have. He will be pushed to the very limits of his physical and mental capacity, and he will prevail. He will succeed because he will have the finest instructors in the world and the support of his fellow recruits. Write to him as often as you can and let him know he has your full support and faith. I thought I had taught my son to be a man, but when I saw him during the family liberty the day before graduation, I barely recognized him. He carried himself erect with a proud, confident bearing I had never seen him display before. I am 51 years old and have seen many of my friends and relatives become Marines. They have all excelled at every job they’ve ever held. There is nothing short of a PhD. That carries more weight on a resume than an honorable discharge from the U.S. Marine Corps. When you see your son proudly displaying the Eagle, Globe & Anchor that he has just earned, know that he will be ready for any challenge. Just think of the possibilities.

Posted by: Douglas Jeffreys on 06/12/2012

Joshua Gigliotti Avatar

Current Marine

keep in touch with the recruiter, write your son every day and visit marines.com "parents.marines.com" site to see alot of things that are happening.

Posted by: Joshua Gigliotti on 06/10/2012

Lawrence Hernandez Avatar

Former Marine

My son who is a Marine reservist now left for boot camp on November 1, 2011. It was one of the hardest things I had to do watching him board that bus at the MEPS center. I had a hard time handling it since he and I are very close. I found that writing to him constantly was a great help, even though I didnt get very many letters back he would let me know that he had gotten them and how they would lift up his spirits. Just know that he finds comfort in your words so write him often, and be ready for one of the proudest days of yours and his lives when you get to see him again in 13 short weeks. He will be walking taller and so will you. Good luck and God speed.

Posted by: Lawrence Hernandez on 06/09/2012

Joice Trout Avatar

Start writing him now even though you don't have his address. Tell him how proud you are of him. Write him encouraging words as they have it hard. It does get easier!

Posted by: Joice Trout on 06/08/2012

Kathy Broussard Avatar

Find a support group that is what helped me..start writing him letters now send them as soon as you get the address there...never say good bye always say see you later...make sure the letters are encouraging words..let him know what is going on in the world as you see it cause accept for your letters are letters from friends are family he will have no idea what is going on....remember this is just as hard on him as you although some may not admit it till later on in there letters...the letters will start by sounding depressing but they do get better as the weeks go on...always respond back with you can do this are you got that....Dont miss family day are graduation it is something you will always remember....Proud Mom of US Marine.....

Posted by: Kathy Broussard on 06/08/2012

Steven Hathaway Avatar

Former Marine

My son has his first appointment with a recruiter today at 5pm, so, I decided to check out this website, and ran across your post.

When I left for boot camp four days after graduating high school, I could see the emotion in Dad's eyes and remember the impact of that to this day. I had been rebellious until then, and knew until then I had let him down countless times.

I received more letters from Dad while I was in Boot Camp than anyone else. I still have those letters 28 years later (I'm still on active duty). His words of encouragement, pride, and love got me through the tough times and I still don't know if he realizes the positive effect this had on me.

He grew and changed as I grew and changed through boot camp and service in the USMC. Simple unbridled letters to him of your pride and encourage are the greatest gift you can give to him. Send them often! It will help you get through!

Posted by: Steven Hathaway on 06/08/2012

Maranda Zoll Avatar

I just keep telling myself this is what my son wanted to do.

Posted by: Maranda Zoll on 06/07/2012

Lourdes Valencia Avatar

My Son left on May 29, The only way is thru prayers. As soon as you will receive the first letter you will start feeling a little more calm. Many Blessings

Posted by: Lourdes Valencia on 06/06/2012

Adele Connolly Avatar

It gets easier once you start getting letters from him and know that he's OK. The beginning is stressful for those of us at home, not knowing but guessing what he's going through. Within the first two weeks, you will get a letter from the Battalion Commander, letting you know that you will be getting letters from him soon. My son's first letter was very short - 3 sentences, consisting of I'm fine, send protein bars, and I love you! You get to where you are racing to the mailbox everyday in the hopes of getting a letter. He will survive this, and so will you. Just know he will come out of this a stronger and more mature young man.

Posted by: Adele Connolly on 06/06/2012

Bill McCartney Avatar

Our daughter left for Perris Island yesterday (06.05.2012), I got the quick phone call from her this morning. Her mom and I are very proud but wishing she was still home. This is going to be a tough few months, I guess all we can do is hang tough because that's what our kids have to do. Even though I don't have a mailing address for her yet, I have writen her a couple of letters already, that seems to help me, and I hope it will help her when I get to mail them. Stay strong! Time will go by fast.

Posted by: Bill McCartney on 06/06/2012