Leslee Queener Avatar

My Son Leaves For Boot Camp In 7 Days

Posted By: Leslee Queener 01-29-12

My only son leaves for boot camp in 7 days, tomorrow. He is
going to Paris Island. Is there any advice that you have for me?
Anything you would have liked to have known before your son
or daughter went to boot camp? Thank you for your help.

Leslee Queener Avatar

Thank you to everyone for all your positive advice and words, my son is in 2nd BN Plt 2033, he has been
writing every week, I get one or two a week, his wife gets two to three, but they are short. The first few
weeks was okay, as he adjusted to being away from home and family, but he has made a few friends that
were going through the same, so I was thankful. Reminds me of one of the things I told him the night he left for boot camp, I told him to remember that the guy standing next to you is going through almost exactly what you are, you won't be alone and it won't last forever, this to shall pass, be strong and he said that
they had separate bad days of homesickness and that they all helped each other get through each day
they all had. Since then his letters have gotten better and better, he has done great in the pugal stick
bouts and the boxing, and he just qualified as an expert in the shooting. He still says he can't wait to see us and how much he misses home but he is positive and feels good about his training so that
is all i can pray for. I write positive letters and send him sports scores that he asks for so hes not missing all the news in the sports that he loves, NBA and the NFL draft stats. He graduates May 4th, and we can't wait to see him. Be strong for you and for them, they need your strength.
My sons biggest fan,
Leslee ( Queeners Mom)

Posted by: Leslee Queener on 04/05/2012

Richard Ferreirs Avatar

My oldest is in 2nd Battalion Fox company Platoon 2030. I have received the form letter and the initial phone call but other than that there is no word.

I can remember the first few weeks of Boot camp for me that the first few weeks were the toughest. I was discouraged and homesick. The longer I was there the easier it became and the more I appreciated how easy I had it on the outside. Looking back I know it was just teaching me to be part of the unit.

Its tough for his mom and I not hearing from him. I know its challenging but what safer place in the world than surrounded by United States Marines.

I look forward to hearing from him soon knowing he will be a better man and a better person having done this.

Good luck

Richard Ferreira

Posted by: Richard Ferreirs on 02/21/2012

Debra Licorish Avatar

My son is also in 2nd Battalion Fox company Platoon 2030! I received three letters, but they all came on Friday just passed. He also wrote to his sister and his father. All the letters came the same day. I would like to hear more of what you have heard and would like to share my experiences too :-)

Posted by: Debra Licorish on 01/27/2013

Debra Licorish Avatar

It looks like you are from last years recruits :-)

Posted by: Debra Licorish on 01/27/2013

Linda  Magness Avatar

Leslee, if you haven't received his address yet in the mail call his recruiter...my son's recruiter gave me his address after just one week. Hope this helps

Posted by: Linda Magness on 02/14/2012

Linda  Magness Avatar

My son left for PI on Feb 6th. He is 19 yrs old. I miss him dearly and cried the day after he left. I have already written two letters and bought lots of inspirational cards. I think about him daily. I will send out a letter/card everyday and I'm already looking forward to May to see him graduate. I hoping I receive a letter that he is doing good. Any negative will only make me sad....Proudmom

Posted by: Linda Magness on 02/11/2012

Linda Ratajczak Avatar

my son left january 23, right after turning 21. i believe he was as prepared as ever, but the first letter, broke my heart. He wasn't happy or feeling positive at all. i was shocked. I've heard that it could have just been a form letter?? Not sure at all, Looking forward to more letters, and hoping they sound better.

Posted by: Linda Ratajczak on 02/08/2012

THERESA PETRUNY Avatar

Leslee - I'm so sorry no one has answered you yet. My son went through Boot Camp at Parris Island also. He already graudated. He's now in training. I can say write letters every day!!!! It will take a few days or a week or 2 for you to get his address but write, write, write. That's all they have to the outside world. Keep it positive and up beat. Tell him to always try hard, to listen and be the best he can be. My son was Squad leader almost the entire time. Tell him it will be tough but just stick it out. They are there for only 13 weeks, it's not the end of the world. He will be a better person after this. Also - to help you, go to www.parrisisland.yuku.com. It is a GREAT site. You will meet other parent's, granparents, girlfriends, etc in your sons same plattoon. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Semper Fi - Theresa

Posted by: THERESA PETRUNY on 02/03/2012

Leslee Queener Avatar

Theresa,
Thank you for writing and your advice. I have been writing every day since he left, just
waiting to get the letter from him with the address to send them out. I have been his biggest
supporter, and tried my best to help him prepare for boot camp. I only cried twice in front of him, because I know that he needed me to be strong. When he first told me and when he left for PI.
I know in my heart he will be fine, I just miss him, not hearing his voice. I told him that it would go by fast, and everyday that goes by is a day closer to accomplishing his goals. Again,thanks for
being so kind. Leslee