Peggy Reardon Avatar

My son left last week-November 7

Posted By: Peggy Reardon 11-14-11

Are there any parents who's son went to Parris Island for boot camp on Nov. 7th. I just registered on this site and learned that the call I received was him. I couldn't understand any of it except about please don't send personal items or food and then realized it was the call I was expecting when he arrived at P.I. My father was a 20 year career Marine. I lived at PI when I was a kid. This has been a tough week.

Lisa Dossantos Avatar

pa falcone...Our sons must be together i assume in the same PLT my son's name is Colby

Posted by: Lisa Dossantos on 12/13/2011

pa falcone Avatar

I just received a letter today - after not hearing from him for close to 3 weeks - apparently they are at the firing range now and are pretty busy. He says he's happy to be finished phase one and they are starting to feel like marines - got their names sewn onto their camo's and tuck their pants into their boots now (which apparently is a big thing) Hope you have a good christmas - can't imagine what it's going to be like but i guess we'll get through it - i keep telling myself they are half way through.!

Posted by: pa falcone on 12/22/2011

Lisa Dossantos Avatar

my son left Nov 7th he's in PLT# 2012 Co G....I have received 2 letters, he seemed ok. He says he's learning alot. This is something he always wanted. Trying to keep upbeat in my letters to him! I send letters several times a week. This has been the hardest 4 weeks for me!! Miss him terribly

Posted by: Lisa Dossantos on 12/01/2011

pa falcone Avatar

My son is also in PLT# 2012 Co G. He finally received some letters from home last week. He sounds pretty good in most of his letters lately which helps some - but I know what you mean - this is really hard!

Posted by: pa falcone on 12/04/2011

Lisa Dossantos Avatar

Our sons must be together his name is Colby

Posted by: Lisa Dossantos on 12/13/2011

pa falcone Avatar

My son left for parris island on November 7, 2011. The first phone call was a blur. it was over so fast I wasn't even sure that it was him. his birthday was on thanksgiving this year - that was a hard day for me. thankfully, we have received a few letters from him but he hasn't gotten anything from us yet and I feel terrible about that. We have written him almost every day so hopefully he will start to get our mail soon. I can tell from his letters that he is missing home and I hope that will get easier. Reading comments from others has certainly helped me - You all sound so much like me. He's my middle son and the first one to leave home - i miss him something awful. Can't wait til Feb

Posted by: pa falcone on 11/27/2011

wendy ponton Avatar

We finally have received a letter from our son! We were so excited. He seems to be doing well and has made some friends. He is in PLT 2009 in CO G. Are any of your sons in that same one? I think it would be cool if they knew each other. Are any of you from the Central New York area? W keep counting down the weeks, it seems like he has been gone longer than three weeks it's just not going by fast enough for us. Hope everyone sons and daughters are doing well.

Posted by: wendy ponton on 11/26/2011

Cindy Medina Avatar

My daughter was also sent to bootcamp at the same time as your son to Parris Islands. We have not gotten any information either. this two weeks have been the hardest for us to.

Posted by: Cindy Medina on 11/18/2011

Community Manager Avatar

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Peggy, welcome to LifeAsAMarine.com! I hope you find this website useful as a Marine parent. Please feel free to search the site and comment on stories you find interesting/helpful. Please keep us updated on your son's progress through boot camp and we hope you continue to use this site for support.
-LifeAsAMarine.com Community Manager

Posted by: Community Manager on 11/16/2011

scott swartfager Avatar

my son went the same day,pretty much the same thing as you herd ,cant wait untill feb 2 too see him, again, never thought i miss him that much until he was really gone, very sad day ,but really proud of him .this is what he wanted to since 8th grade in school

Posted by: scott swartfager on 11/15/2011

Community Manager Avatar

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Scott, thanks for your feedback and participation on LifeAsAMarine.com. Please continue to comment and feel free to submit a story to the site.
-LifeAsAMarine.com Community Manager

Posted by: Community Manager on 11/18/2011

wendy ponton Avatar

Our son also left on Nov. 7 We received a phone call at approxiamtely 10:15 on Monday. The person on the other end sounded nothing like our son, but of drill instructor maybe? It was short and sweet and saying that he arrived safely and we would be hearing somehing in the next 7-9 days. We have yet to hear anything, we are still waiting patiently. I recently just registered on this site. think it will be neat to talk with other Marine parents.

Posted by: wendy ponton on 11/15/2011

Kelly Dapice Avatar

My son also left Nov. 7. for Parris Island.. I was kind of shocked with the phone call too, I figured its going to be along 13 weeks.We got our sons address today from his recuiter though so i am going to mail him a letter tomorrow. That makes me feel a tad better, I guess. I just keep telling myself this is what he wants to do and I need to think of him and not myself, because if I don't do that I probably would drive down there and take him home! I don't think he would think that is too funny..I think after we get a letter back it will get better, I think it is the unknown. Take care we are all in this together..

Posted by: Kelly Dapice on 11/14/2011

Sandra Strickland Avatar

My Son also left Nov. 7th for Parris Island. The call was a standard call in which they are reading a card. They tell you they are Recruit (Name) and that they have arrived safely at PI and not to send food or bulky items and they will contact you by letter in 7-9 days with their mailing address. Then good-bye for now, Thank you for your service. I understand, it has been a tough week for me as well. I am anxiously awaiting a letter. My son had warned us that it would be a quick call and to let it record so that we could listen to it later.

Posted by: Sandra Strickland on 11/14/2011