VICKIE DISON Avatar

At the end

Posted By: VICKIE DISON 10-22-11

My son, whom I am very proud of will be graduating Oct 28th from PI. Just want to mention that my son told me they only get so much writing paper and envelopes, so you may want to send a care package with stamps, paper, envelopes and pens . This helped him to write more and I'm sure he shared with others.

Good luck to all the parents because I know your pain of missing you son, daughter. It helped me to write encouraging letters to my son everyday but not without crying my eyes out. I would even put encourging quotes in his letter. For those who are waiting on a phone call, don't because its not going to happen. You will get the one phone from the recruit station and then you can't talk to them, because the drill instructor is standing right behind them to ensure they tell you they have arrived safely and that's it. After about 2 to 3 weeks I started receiving letters. My son was sick probably about 7 weeks of the 12. The care package I sent him was cough drops, vitamin c pills and protein bars. Of course the DI took them and would share with all the recruits. That was fine with me. I just wanted all to be well for the cruicable. To anyone who reads this it has helped me to take one day at a time and to look on the website to see what the recruits were doing each day. So, good luck to all the parents who are missing their kids. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mary Genter Avatar

My son just graduated 10/21 and you are right - stamps, envelopes and pens come in handy for them. My son asked me to self-address the envelopes so that he'd have more time for writing his letters. I ran several envelopes through the printer for letters to be sent home, some with his brother's college address and some with his girlfriends address. He said it really helped...

Posted by: Mary Genter on 10/26/2011

Mindi Wise-Lowrey Avatar

I recently got a letter from my son requesting stamps and envelopes. Myself and his father sent him what he needed. I had no idea that he would need them but I am glad this site is here to help other parents of new recruits.
My son grad on Nov.18th - we are so very excited about going and finally seeing him!

Posted by: Mindi Wise-Lowrey on 10/25/2011

Monica Mansfield Avatar

Hi Mindi, my son is also in 3rd RTBN Mike Co! I can't wait for graduation! I was hoping to find another parent that has a son in the same Co as mine. I just can't wait to see him.

Posted by: Monica Mansfield on 10/27/2011

Diana Fors Avatar

Thank you for the post it came at exactly the right time for me. My son has only been gone for 1 week. I thought that it would get easier as the days went by, but I was wrong. I can't get him off my mind. I have not received a letter yet, but I am anxiously waiting. I stare at pictures of him and just cry.

Posted by: Diana Fors on 10/24/2011

VICKIE DISON Avatar

The first week is the worse.There wasn't any part of the day that I didn't think about my son. I took advantage of my son being gone and had my own field day in his room. Boy did that keep me going, I even painted his bedroom . It ' ll get easier, just keep yourself busy . Your first letter is going to be a pre written letter from the platoon's DI and letting you know his address. After that you should get a letter from him. They only get 4 hours of free time on Sunday's . You can't help but to think about him and he's your baby. Thanks for the comment and good luck.

Posted by: VICKIE DISON on 10/25/2011

Mary Genter Avatar

I agree with Vickie, the first week was the worst for me too. When you get his address you might want to send him stamps, envelopes & pens, that's what my son needed. He asked me to address the envelopes so he could spend what little time he had writing letters and not writing addresses. I ran a bunch of envelopes through the printer, some addressed home, some to his brother's college address, and some to his girlfriend. He said it really helped. Furthermore, I felt that anything, not matter how small, that I could do for him made me feel a little better.
My son graduated 10/21 and is currently home on leave for 10 days. Hang in there, it's gets more bearable.

Posted by: Mary Genter on 10/26/2011

crystal adkins Avatar

Thank you. My son just arrived at PI today. I am waiting for that phone call. I miss him so much already and I hope that the next 12 weeks go by fast. He will be gone over 3 holidays and his 19th birthday. I started writing him and will have a few letters to send before he sends me his address and information. Congrats on the graduation this week and good luck!

Posted by: crystal adkins on 10/24/2011

VICKIE DISON Avatar

Thank you. I just got a phone call from my son Sunday because they were granted liberty after finishing the cruicble. That ws the only time in the last 12 weeks that i have talked to him other than letters. I kept writing my son everyday for the first two weeks and then I slacked off to 3 times a week. My son sounded like he needed encouragement and asked me to keep the letters coming. I'm sorry to hear he's not going to be home for the holidays and his birthday. All the more for you to look forward to the homecoming and to be so proud of your son. I guess I have a little advantage being my husband retired a year ago after 24 years of service, so I pretty much know what to expect. Thank you again and good luck!

Posted by: VICKIE DISON on 10/25/2011

Wayne Springer Avatar

Congratulations to your son. The Crucible is tough but if he made it this far he will succeed. Tell him thanks when you see him.

Posted by: Wayne Springer on 10/24/2011

VICKIE DISON Avatar

Thank you and I talked to my son sunday , so my son is a marine .

Posted by: VICKIE DISON on 10/25/2011