MCRD Family Day

Posted By: Carolyn Alvarado 10-12-11

PFC De La O on Family Day April 21, 2011 Kilo Company MCRD San Diego CA>

As the day grew closer for us to leave to San Diego Ca I could not get there fast enough. I was a bundle of nerves. So excited to see my son, but worried that the Marines would have changed him somehow.When we got there on Wednesday I could not sleep. I just kept thinking my son is out there somewhere on this base.

When Thursday morning finally came I could not get out of the room fast enough. As my daughter & I walked to The Bay View Restaurant I kept looking for him, hoping to catch even a glimpse of him. After breakfast as we walked to the staging area we saw a platoon of Marines & my heart jumped into my chest as I looked for the numbers on the flag. When I saw that it was not his platoon I was sad, but then I heard another mother say oh I saw him as her eyes filled with tears I just saw my son, & me being me I cried with her.

We got to the staging area we were sitting on the benches we saw another platton of Marines run out of the barracks, I again looked for the numbers on the flag & when I saw that it was my son's platoon I began to look for him as my eyes filled with tears I hear my daughter say there he is mom there he is. I can not begain to tell you the joy I felt at seeing my son in person for the first time in over 13 weeks.

Later he told us that he knew he just knew that his sister & I would be out there looking for him waiting to see him & he said that pumped him up so much that the run was nothing, the yelling from his DI, the last 13 weeks had been worth it to know that we were there & that we supported him. I know letting go & letting our kids become an adult is one of the hardest things to do & when they go to Boot Camp it feels like they are taking are heart with them, but at the end of the 13 weeks you will see your young man as the Man he has become.

Maria  Rodriguez Avatar

Thank you.

Posted by: Maria Rodriguez on 01/24/2013

Charlene Hart Avatar

Loved your post! My son is a high school senior and in the delayed entry program; he's due to go to boot camp Sept. 3, 2013. Your post was so touching, tears were rolling down my face as I read it. You must be so proud! I am excited to join the ranks of "Marine Mom!"

Posted by: Charlene Hart on 12/08/2012

Laura Moreno Avatar

I am so happy for you and your family. I cried just reading your story, it sounds like something I will be doing on my son's graduation day in Nov. and thx for giving me a heads up on looking at the numbers on the flags. PROUD MOM

Posted by: Laura Moreno on 10/23/2012

Kim Higa Avatar

Former Marine

As a former Marine, I know what my son will be going through when he leaves in October. But I don't think it will make it any easier for me now as a Mom.

Posted by: Kim Higa on 04/25/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

Wow, Kim I am so envies of you that you have the inside track on what, when, where, and how boot camp was, but I agree its one thing for us to go thru something and quite another when are children do thru it. As a mom (parent, most parents anyway)we want to protect are children make everything good and ok and we cant do that for them especially at boot camp. I remember after my son graduated I had taken a bag of bite size candy and everyone was eating them and my son was holding the wrapper in his had I being the mom that I am put out my hand to take it from him and he said no mom give me your wrapper so I can toss it in the trash. Wow, just blew me away to see that. I know kinda of a goofy thing to pop into my head but it was like oh wow he's grown so much in 13 weeks not just phyically but mentally as well... Oohray Marine and Oohray Proud Marine Mom!!!! You Rock!

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

Veronica  Cech Avatar

I just came from a local Family Night for delayed entry recruits and their families. I am so proud to say the event was hosted in part by my only son, GunnyStg Anthony Cech. I am so proud of him. He has been in the USMC for 15 years. I remember one of my fears when he left for boot camp is that the Marines would change him. Change him they did. Changed him into a strong, moral, considerate man, while retaining his wonderful devilish personality. I listened to all the questions and concerns from the families tonight, I just want to jump up and say it will be ok! Your children have taken the first step into a brother/sisterhood of the highest order. With the highest standards, morals, and razor sharp decision making skills. Semper Fi

Posted by: Veronica Cech on 04/24/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

How proud you must be Veronica I can feel it in your words. Your right the Marines did change my son, for the best, but I was afraid that they would take away his sweet caring heart and make him cold, but he is the same loving caring son he always has been. Oohary Proud Marine Mom

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

BRENDA EDWARDS Avatar

I to was in San Diego for my son graduation on 3/27/2012. I know how you felt .There is no feeling as a mother to see you son. I could not wait to put my arms around my son. When I saw him I gave him one the biggest hugs ,I think I have ever gave him. I can not explain how proud of him that I"am. My son went in as boy and came out as a man. Now he is at 29palms. As being a mother and this is my youngest son, it was so hard to let go and let him chose his path in life. I must say that I"am so proud of the path that he has chosen. I LOVE MY MARINE....

Posted by: BRENDA EDWARDS on 04/24/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

Brenda, You have every right to be proud of Your Hero, Your Marine, Your Son! I must say that any parent that has a child that is as selfless as our children have the right to brag and Be Damn Proud....I too think I gave my son the biggest and longest hug ever but you know what he did the same with neither one of wanting to let go. He huged me for so long and so hard, it felt GREAT to put my arms around him tell him how much I missed him, how proud I was of him, and OH HOW MUCH I LOVED HIM!

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

Laura Guzman Avatar

Carolyn, thank you for sharing. I truly enjoyed reading this. My son leaves for Camp Pendelton in December. We are so proud of him and so look forward to his graduation from Boot Camp. I would happy to receive any advise on dealing with the separation later this year. Greetings from Hammond, Indiana

Posted by: Laura Guzman on 04/24/2012

bonnie st yves Avatar

I felt the same way! My Daughter Alanna and I woke up on Wednesday January 18th, 2012 to a huge snow storm! Luckily our Family friend Allen ( my BFF Lisa's husband had a 4 whll drive 4-runner! He took us to the airport! We got to the airport about 6 hours early but we just played on our laptops and parused the shops. Well it was finally time to board! We sat on that airplane on the ground for an hour and 15 minutes while they de-iced us! Every second I thought they would tell us we couldn't fly! finally we were up and away, it was snowing hard when we left! We flew into beautiful, warm san Diego about 7pm! I was so excited! Casey's letters came regularly but I had written everyday! i knew he was okay and right where he wanted to be, I actually slept like a baby! We took an early shuttle to the base, and got our first glimpse of him in the moto run also! The happy tears flowed! We went shopping and donned our newly purchaced t-shirts! we went through the marching ceremony, taking lots of picture, Finally released that Thursday for Liberty, I got my arms around Casey, the tears flowing from both of us! His sister alanna got her turn, then He showed us all around the base! Friday was amazing! He finally got off the base with us about 12:30 Friday after Graduation, So proud of him! He was a squad leader, that experience turned him into a man and a Marine!

Posted by: bonnie st yves on 04/24/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

Bonnie, is it not the best feeling in the world to finally have your arms around him once again. Even though we know they are doing what they want to be doing and are where they want to be there is no better feeling in the world then knowing he is safe in you arms. Oohray proud Marine Mom...

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

Robin Harvey Avatar

I loved your story:) Our oldest son graduates in just 18 days!!!! He is almost 23, and has been away for college, but this is different. My dad was a Marine, so their is a huge sence of pride. We have alot of family going and we all know we will be blubbering the whole time we are there. Can't wait. His little sister and I are taking him lots of homemade cookies:), he kept asking for them, but I kept hearing not to send any. I cry everytime I go on the Marine web site.

Posted by: Robin Harvey on 02/06/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

Robin, Its been over a year now since my son has graduated from MCRD San Diego he is now stationed in Okinawa Japan and trust me I still cry everytime I come on this website or any website that has anything to do with the Marines. lol Welcome to the Marine family mom you just got awhole lot of new son's and daughter's

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

Emily Luque-Calabio Avatar

Carolyn, Just read your story which brought tears to my eyes. My son graduates from MCRD in 5 more weeks on March 9. I'm already feeling what you wrote. My daughter and I can't wait to see him come family day. Thank your story. It was good to see that another mom feeling what I'm feeling now in anticipation of seeing my son after 13 weeks.

Posted by: Emily Luque-Calabio on 02/03/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

Emily, I know just what your feeling and now with my daughter graduating on June 12th then going off to The Navy to become an officer I am feeling it all over again. Welcome new Proud Marine Mom

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

Kristen Breeden Avatar

loved reading your story. thanks for posting. We go next wednesday, as graduation is Friday, 1/27/12. Cannot wait.
kristen

Posted by: Kristen Breeden on 01/19/2012

Carolyn  Alvarado Avatar

A little late I know but Im so glad you were able to see your son & the transfermation that took place. Welcome to the Marine Family....

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 05/04/2012

elizabeth robinson Avatar

I had tears in my eyes just reading your comments. Thanks for the supportive comments on that day 12 weeks and 4 days from today! I know I will be the same, looking for my son at every turn of every corner in Parris Island. He had a smile ear to ear when he walked out of the MEPS doors that day and I am sure he will have an even bigger smile when he completes boot camp. It is difficult to let them go but I know on top of how awesome he already is at least now he may keep his room clean when he is home. LOL Ooh Rah

Posted by: elizabeth robinson on 12/15/2011

Elizabeth,
There is no way to describe the feeling of pride & honor that you will feel at seeing your son for the first time in 13 weeks. I only hope you are able to see him thru your tears...lol Not only will he be able to keep his room clean but he will dress to impress at all times & eat you out of house & home but you will love ever min of it. Congrats please tell him Thank you for all he is doing & will do. I also want to thank you cause you & your family too will sacrfice for all of us....

Welcome to the Marine Family Ooh Rah

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 01/09/2012

Christina Bellar Avatar

Family

Thank you for sharing :) My brother graduated back in August my husband, kidsa nd I packed up and drove all the way to California... I have never been so proud of my little brother! I pretty much raised him after I graduated from high school so I would not have missed it for the world... he is now finishing up his training at ft.sill, here in Oklahoma :) I dread the day he deploys as I am a military spouse myself and know first hand what a deployment is like :(

Posted by: Christina Bellar on 11/30/2011

Christina,
No one else in my family other then my nephew is in the Military it has been quite a shock for my daughter & I to have my son so far way. I am so happy for you that your brother has choosen a very honorable life. God Bless you & your family & please tell your brother thank you for me.

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 12/06/2011

Vanessa Strickland Avatar

Hi Carolyn,
Do you know who is the Marine in the picture? It looks exactly like my son.. I was wondering if it is actually my son?!
Vanessa Strickland

Posted by: Vanessa Strickland on 11/15/2011

Vanessa,
I do know this Marine it is my son. He graduated from MCRD San Diego CA in April & currently serving in Okinawa Japan. When did your son graduate & from where?

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 11/15/2011

MELISSA PAULEY Avatar

Great story. My son is leaving this weekend for boot camp-I am nervous but so proud of him for choosing this path.

Posted by: MELISSA PAULEY on 11/11/2011

Melissa,
It is a very proud path indeed, but as my son told me if you think your proud of me now just wait till you see me walk across the prade deck on graduation day.

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 11/14/2011

Diane Smith Avatar

What a great story! Our only child left for Parris Island on 10/17, and it's been very hard, as everyone here knows. It makes you wonder how our parents did it when we left home...however I'm sure leaving for boot camp is quite different then just moving out or even going to college! I have been concerned that he might be a different person next time we see him. He's been a great kid, always making everyone laugh...I certainly hope that doesn't go away. I can't wait to see him again, yet still get sad because I know it will only be a short time before he leaves for more training. Congrats to you, your family and especially your son. As hard as it is for us, it's harder for them, but they are all out there doing something they believe deeply in...protecting all of us. God bless every one of them...and please tell him thank you!

Posted by: Diane Smith on 11/04/2011

Diane,
I understand what your feeling. Somedays are good & all you can think about is his smile, his hugs, his laughter & then other days it seems like such a long time since you have seen him, held him, or talked to him. It seems like the 13 weeks are going by so slow & everyone around you just keep living their life not caring that you feel like your will never be the same. I also feared that my son would be changed & no longer be the way that he was before, BUT HE DIDNT he is still my fun loving, joke telling, loveable son that he was before just now he is A Man, A Marine, My Hero...

I will tell him you said to thank him & for your support.
Thank you to your family & your son for all that he will do & has done for my FREEDOM. I dont take that gife lightly. I know how much him, you, & your family sacrifice.

Welcome Diana to one of the best familys in the world The Marine Family...

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 11/08/2011

Diana Lewellyn Avatar

Carolyn,
Your story brought tears to my eyes because my son is now about half-way through boot camp & he keeps writing to me that he hasn't got any letters from me yet. I feel so bad because since I got his first letter, I have written him one every 2-3 days. It makes me wonder if for some reason they are keeping his mail from him. Anyway, I am just so excited to see him on graduation day in December!!!

Posted by: Diana Lewellyn on 10/28/2011

Diana,
Thank would be a good question to ask his DI? You should have gotten a letter from him as well & you can email him or write him & ask whats going on with your sons mail. I get so excited when I hear about another family going to see their Marine. I know that feeling & believe it or not I get that same feeling when I hear about other familys seeing their son or daughter for the first time in 13 weeks. Good luck.

Welcome to the Marine Family

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 11/08/2011

Debbie Miller Avatar

Thank you Carolyn! My son Craig just left on Monday, 10-17 and yes, my heart went with him! I have not received his phone call yet. Did you receive a call? I know it will be short but I want to hear his voice so badly!

Posted by: Debbie Miller on 10/20/2011

Debbie,
No I didnt get the call nothing like going cold turkey right? My son choose not to call me cause he knew that I hated the thought of the DI's yelling at him & thats pretty much all I would hear so he didnt call so I wouldnt have to hear that. He was already thinking like a man trying to protect me. Thats not how its suppose to be Im the one that should be protecting him. Wow, how the tables have turned. I know how bad you want to hear his voice, see his face, & feel his hug you will just not soon enough. Is he stationed at MCRD San Diego, CA.?

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 10/21/2011

Kaye Stroud Avatar

:) Thank you for your post. It has helped me so much. My son graduates Nov. 23 from Parris Island and I can't wait to see him. Your expressions sounded just like I feel!

Posted by: Kaye Stroud on 10/20/2011

Kaye,
Iam so excited for you I know that feeling of excitment, chills, how proud you feel, how much you love him, & how much you have missed him. Congrats to you both & please thank him for serving our country & helping us keep our freedom.

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 10/21/2011

Diana Fors Avatar

Your story is so comforting to me right now. My son left October 17th for Parris Island. I know this is what he has wanted to do for a long time and I support his decision. I feel as though a part of me is missing and I worry about how he is going to change. Thank you for sharing your story.

Posted by: Diana Fors on 10/19/2011

Diana,
If my story helped you even a lil Im glad cause it is a tough road to go down, but I also know it has so many rewards. I know your proud of your son & being proud of him does not take away from how much you miss him. Just remember always be supporting of him, write him everyday, & as much as you miss him he misses you the same. It really helped me to write to my son everyday. I also looked up everything I could on the internet as far as what all MCRD was, what they did, when they did it. I helped to know where he was what, he was seeing & doing. I read up on the crucuble what it was & when they did it.
Your son will change but only for the better, my son is still the same loving son that I sent off to MCRD hes just more independent now, hes turned into an awesome young man, & Hes One Of The Few The Proud A Marine & hes My Hero, My Son...Good luck to your son & you oh yeah & please tell him thanks for insuring that I keep my freedom.

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 10/20/2011

Charlotte  Stephenson Avatar

Thank you so much for that... I soon will see my son on Nov 3rd for family day, Thanks for the preporation .....and the tears...God Bless you

Posted by: Charlotte Stephenson on 10/18/2011

Charlotte,
Im so glad that this has helped you. I know the feelings your having & as much as it hurts it is exciting to know that your son is becoming a man you can be very proud of. Im excited for you to see him...Good luck

Posted by: Carolyn Alvarado on 10/19/2011