Leita Rayment Avatar

mom of marine

Posted By: Leita Rayment 09-19-11

I have read some of the stories posted on here and can feel your sorrows. MY son left for bootcamp on Sept 5 ,2011 and I thought I was perpared but not the tears flowed for for days. I would leave work fine and sob all the way home.

I miss him so much and can't wait for graduation day to hug him. I know he is in great hands our Lord is with him and the others. Its real hard to let go even when my other children are close by. It took awhile to get his address and I never did recieve the phone call it says we are suppose to get when they get there. I think if I could have just heard his voice adn know he was okay I would have felt better. I told myself to stop being so selfish its his life and he needs to do what is in his heart and that and lots of prayer has helped me so much.

We also have Marines at our church so they have helped us also.However I am so Proud of my son. and all the others that do whats in their hearts and not let us sobbing moms change that. :)

malinda crum Avatar

My son left Aug.13th 2012 and like you I thought I would be fine, I mean it is only 3 mths. right!! Not a chance everyday I am at the post office sending him mail and hoping to have a letter from him. I also have 3 sons but they just are not cody ( my future marine). They are here where I now they are ok, but cody's is along ways away. Yet I am proud of him and even prouder that he picked the marines. He has only been gone about 4 weeks yet his letters already sound more grown up. When he left he just acted like a little kid and I was hoping the marines would make him into the man I new he was, but when I got that 4th letter that made him sound so grown up I cried so hard. I just could not stop. What am I going to do when then ship him over seas????? NEVER THOUGHT THIS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME. It was his life to live, but know I just worry to much to soon, that is what I am told. at least the marines will make sure he is ready for anything. SEMPER FI

Posted by: malinda crum on 09/19/2012

LINDA GAIOWNIK Avatar

Your story is my story. My son left on Sept 5,too-it was his 19th birthday. We've had a lot of trouble with the mail, too. I called his recruiter and was told NOT to put the PO Box or 4 digit extension because they get changed too often, then the mail goes to the wrong PO Box. Since dropping those numbers, our mail gets through faster. I cried all the time the first week. Then it gradually decreased. Now I only cry a few tears here and there. I wish we could know for certain if they get to stay home until after New Year's Day or if they only get 10 days off.
We just got the Military Channel on cable and have watched everything they have on about Marines. It just seems to help to be able to see some of what they're doing. There's quite a bit on YouTube, also.

Posted by: LINDA GAIOWNIK on 10/13/2011

Lise  Riedy Avatar

My son also left on Sept 5, 2011 . I really understand how you feel. The same exact words came out of my mouth. It is selfish of us but we love them so much that words can explain. Is your son in Parris Island. Maybe our boys know each other. My son is in Echo Co. and he seems to be adjusting very well. I told him that if anybody other than him reads my letters they would think that they were ramblings of a crazy person. Be strong, be proud and maybe we'll meet at the graduation if your son is in Parris Island.

Posted by: Lise Riedy on 10/09/2011

LINDA GAIOWNIK Avatar

My son is in Parris Island Echo Co, too. My letters to him are more like I'm a reporter-I ask dozens of questions. My son's answers are very short, but he seems to be doing well most of the time. I guess only our fellow marine recruit parents can know what it's like to be so proud, but yet wishing they were with us instead.

Posted by: LINDA GAIOWNIK on 10/13/2011

Mary  Hahn Avatar

MY son left 9/6/11 and is also in ECho Co PLt 2100 though ... what platoon is your son .? I can not wait for family day/ graduation ..... I am sooooo excited to see him !!

Posted by: Mary Hahn on 10/19/2011

Robyn Walters Avatar

I know how you are feeling! My son left yesterday (September 27) for San Diego. I did receive the call from him at 2:30 in the morning. It was a 15 second call with a lot of yelling in the background. He finished it by telling me he loved me.
You are right it is very hard to let go even though this is what he chose to do. Now all I can do is pray and wait for the first letter from him. How long did it take to get the address for your son? I am going to start writing to him now and wait until I have the address. I miss him so much already!
I think this is the hardest thing I have come across as being a parent! I have 2 more sons at home, but feel an emptiness without my oldest son home.
I am also telling myself to stop being selfish! I am so very proud of him to choose this as his path in life. I am so excited to see him at graduation to see how much he has changed and hope the time goes by quickly!
God Bless you and your family!
Thank you for your story.

Posted by: Robyn Walters on 09/28/2011

Jaimee Helton Avatar

i know the feeling, my boyfriend left on the 5th.. it's hard but keep holding on <3

Posted by: Jaimee Helton on 09/26/2011

Theresa O. Avatar

It's amazing how you can relate to everyone on this site, your story was very touching,i feel as if its me speaking of my son and he will not be leaving until Sept 26,2011. i have been having such a difficult time of letting go and i keep asking him over and over is this truly what he wants and he tells me yes every time, i am so scared for him he has never been away from home let alone from his family, he has never traveled out of the city alone, i am just so concerned.

Posted by: Theresa O. on 09/20/2011

LINDA GAIOWNIK Avatar

Theresa, I hope you're doing Ok. I know you have just gotten through the worst of it. It definitely gets better once the letter start coming.

Posted by: LINDA GAIOWNIK on 10/13/2011

Jennifer Mortson-McLean Avatar

Your son is in my thoughts and prayers. He sounds like a wonderful young man and I hope these next weeks go by for you quickly. I cried for the first few days also. I actually had to leave work a couple of times because I just couldn't stop crying. As a mom, My son is my everything. He is my only child and we have never been a part for more than 5 days. This is so hard but my prayers make me stronger. I never received the phone call I was told I would get either. Although others have, I'm not sure why we didn't. I hope that you find peace in knowing that your son is following his heart and making a dream of his come true. And wow....what a dream it is :) God Bless you and your family.

Posted by: Jennifer Mortson-McLean on 09/19/2011