Merry Gray Avatar

Missing my son

Posted By: Merry Gray 09-05-11

My son left Aug 28th, 2011 and I can't begin to tell you how much I miss him. It's been a week so far and I haven't received a letter yet. :( I'm so very proud of him but yet miss him a great deal. Seems like graduation is so far away.

Merry Gray Avatar

Thank you everyone, this has been the longest 12weeks of my life, but i'm glad to say in 11days I will be Parris Island bound to see my son graduate. I couldn't be prouder, the letters helped so much. I was able to get one phone call from him which was totally the best thing ever. I'm proud to say my son is a Marine. Good luck to all the new BootCamp mom's it's a tough road for us as mom's but it's worth it in the end..

Posted by: Merry Gray on 11/11/2011

Theresa O. Avatar

my son is fixing to leave on September 26,2011,to San Diego and i have been on pins and needles and when i think of it i get sick to my stomach, if i could keep here with me all the time i would :( but i am proud.

Posted by: Theresa O. on 09/20/2011

sandra villarreal Avatar

my son just graduated on 09/09/2011 the day he left in june i was the saddest and also the proudest mother even though it seems like forever for us as moms its all worth it to our sons or daughters i mean who knew my son the marine! you'll get by , i didnt recieve a letter right away either and i imagined all sorts of things and all for nothing because when i did hear from him he was fine and he was just becoming a marine. i didnt get to attend graduation because of financial dicculties .I found this out afterward there is assisstence you must apply after 8th week of bootcamp.he's on his way home now i so excited to see and hug him . he looks so good in pictures he sent .so Merry im sure youll hear from him soon .we are all a family now ! god bleess!

Posted by: sandra villarreal on 09/10/2011

Kimberley King Avatar

I just want you to know that you make it thru it. Our son graduated from Parris Island on April 8, 2011. It was the longest 12 weeks we had ever went thru but we made it. It takes several weeks before you will receive the first letter. You will read that letter often just to feel close to him and you will have excitement each time you go to the mailbox awaiting another letter. We wrote to our son everyday so he would receive mail each day. After coming home, he talked about how important hearing from home was and that it helped get thru it. What they experience is very hard and we can't imagine how hard it really was. I want to tell you that words cannot describe the feeling when you see your son for the 1st time. Try your best to go to the family day. You will be overwhelmed when they raise the bay doors and your marine marches in with his platoon. Graduation day is great also. We are a family now, Welcome to the Marine Family!!! (I hope this brings words of encouragement)

Posted by: Kimberley King on 09/06/2011

Kaye Stroud Avatar

My son left the same day. I have not received a letter but I did get the standard phone call. I was glad to hear his voice. I hope we will hear from them soon!!!

Posted by: Kaye Stroud on 09/06/2011

Alison Clodfelter Avatar

Hello Merry, My name is Alison and my son left for MCRD August 8th, this is his 5th week. I totally relate to how you're feeling, my heart goes out to you. This journey is extremely hard on Mother's heartstrings, in fact believe we go through our own 'Mom' boot camp. I'm so happy we have sites like this for us Mom's, all family members, where we can support and encourage each other and our sons.

I know its seems like the tears won't end, but as a Mom 5 weeks in, I can tell you they do. Did you receive the scripted telephone call from you son? Once you receive the form letter with his Company, Battalion and platoon number, its going to make you feel so much better, knowing you can at least write him, and oh the first proper letter you receive from him you'll read it over and over again :-D

What I did in those first few days, printed out a blank calendar, highlighted the weeks, highlighted the half way point, Family day, and Graduation Day. I've also been counting down the days on there,, so every morning the first thing I do, X out the previous day and write the new number, makes you feel so excited when you see the days decreasing, all these I have pinned to my wall near my laptop, along with his photo and Christian pictures. I sent my son a copy of the calendar and he loves it. I printed out wallet size photos, Bible Scriptures anything and everything I'm allowed to send, he loves it all. He took his Bible with him, he's leaning on his faith and he said he truly now has an intimate relationship with Jesus, Praise the Lord. God is watching over all recruits at MCRD and Paris Island, if ever you need to talk, just message me ok. take care Merry. Alison

Posted by: Alison Clodfelter on 09/06/2011

Merry Gray Avatar

Alison thank you so much for the kind words. I'm now in count down till we leave for S.C. Family day is 11-22-11 and Graduation is 11-23-11 I get him for 10days, I'm going to soak up every second I can with him.. I hope your son is doing good. God bless..

Posted by: Merry Gray on 11/11/2011

Felicia McCullough Avatar

I understand how you feel! I don't know how I can go another day, let alone another 12 weeks before seeing my son or talking to him. I miss him so much, but I keep telling myself he's doing what he loves and that helps me get through the day.

Posted by: Felicia McCullough on 09/06/2011