Mai Christy Avatar

making flight arrangements for graduation Nov-2011

Posted By: Mai Christy 08-15-11

We would like to buy our plane tickets early to get the cheapest possible flight but everthing I am reading says to wait til week 10!? I understand waiting to make sure my RCT son will graduate on time, but we are on a tight budget and have some saved just for this but I worry that the longer we wait to buy tickets the more expensive they'll get and my worst fear is that we won't be able to afford the tickets! Or worse...only one of us will be able to go. :( Any ideas?

Rick Krise Avatar

Are you guys buying your kids a ticket for the ride home...my son grads in just over two weeks and no info has came yet...when is it safe to fly out cause if you miss the flight thats not good?????

Posted by: Rick Krise on 11/29/2011

Esmeralda Evans Avatar

I have an update for those making plans, this weeks mail cam a packet that has an all inclusive travel company on base that helps parents make arrangements, its called all points travel you get a huge envelope with all kinds of info in it. their website is
www.mccs-sc.com
hope this helps those of you that are a few weeks behind me. have a blessed weekend. Esmeralda

Posted by: Esmeralda Evans on 09/16/2011

Vanessa Shelton Avatar

My son is graduating on Oct 14. My suggestion is to wait until he qualifies on the rifle range. That is Friday of training week 7. After this, I think only an injury would prevent him from graduating on time. Look for flights during the week, when you look on weekends the price is usually higher and then will drop again during weekdays. Also, if you're getting a rental car anyway and don't mind a 70 mile drive, it's cheaper to fly into Charleston SC. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Vanessa Shelton on 09/15/2011

Esmeralda Evans Avatar

Not sure where you are flying driving from to graduation but amtrak has some good rates if you book early enough. I would at least wait until swim week because it seems as though all our recruits during that time seem to get sick. As you stay on track with your recruit and they stay strong and healthy they will graduate on time. Also check with spirit airlines and instead of flying right into the closest airport try one nearby sometimes the prices with drop drastically. hope this helps. thanks
Esmeralda

Posted by: Esmeralda Evans on 09/04/2011

Mai Christy Avatar

thank you Esmeralda! I do believe we plan to fly. My boyfriend's back is not the best and I am not sure he'll be able to manage a long train ride. We are in Oregon. I think we decided that we would go with southwest primarily because they don't charge to change flights. We are in swim week now..and I am planning to book flights this weekend. Getting excited!!!!! Phase 2 starts next week!!!

Posted by: Mai Christy on 09/06/2011

Charlotte  Stephenson Avatar

SWest is cheaper and no cancellations fees and Bags fly free....lol. I am with you coming from the Midwest we are looking at high rates anyway but if you get a motel... you will pay lot for that too...

Posted by: Charlotte Stephenson on 08/19/2011

Beth Agler Avatar

Hello- Our daughter graduates end of Oct and we were looking at flights from Ohio to Parris Island and like you said the longer you wait the more they cost. So in the long run we decided to drive down but if we did fly you can get insurance on your tickets in case the date got changed or in case of illness or whatever and it wasnt too exspensive-so you might check into that. good luck!

Posted by: Beth Agler on 08/17/2011

Mai Christy Avatar

insurance on flight tickets? never heard of such a thing. I'll be looking into that! Thanks Beth!

Posted by: Mai Christy on 08/18/2011

Steven Slapikas Avatar

Hey Beth, I tried getting tickets from Ct to Parris Island for Oct 14, way too expensive though. We will be driving as well.....not looking forward to a 16 hour drive but oh well.

Posted by: Steven Slapikas on 08/25/2011

Beth Agler Avatar

I hear you-it will be a 13 hr drive for us. We figure it will be a good time to visit with our daughter on the way home though and we are going to stop somewhere halfway home and spend the night.. We are renting a minivan because we dont have a big vehicle and our daughter said she will have 3 big bags of stuff to bring home. Cant wait to see her again!

Posted by: Beth Agler on 09/04/2011

Charlotte  Stephenson Avatar

Pick southwest Depending on where you are flying out of

Posted by: Charlotte Stephenson on 08/16/2011

Mai Christy Avatar

really? Why southwest air? just curious.

Posted by: Mai Christy on 08/17/2011

Steven Slapikas Avatar

Southwest is by far great, My mother-in-law flies up twice a year from Florida and always on Southwest, free baggage and def no problems. I just cant swing that amount for my wife and I and our 2 children. Road trip here we come!!

Posted by: Steven Slapikas on 08/26/2011

Vanessa Shelton Avatar

I love to fly Southwest also, but they don't fly to Savannah, GA, which is 30 miles from the island. You'll have to fly into Charleston, S.C. which is 70 miles away. MapQuest says it is and hour and a half drive. That limits the number of flights you could make it to if you're planning a return flight the day of graduation.

Posted by: Vanessa Shelton on 09/15/2011

Charlotte  Stephenson Avatar

My concerns exactly. I am going to phone the recruit and see if I get any information. AWww the stress just increases...
Hang In there

Posted by: Charlotte Stephenson on 08/16/2011

Mai Christy Avatar

I hear ya. I am still waiting for the form letter so I can send my son his letters...let's talk about stress level! LOL

Posted by: Mai Christy on 08/17/2011