Enid  Estevez Avatar

A day with mixed emotions...

Posted By: Enid Estevez 08-08-11

Today August 8th at 4:30 am, my only son departed to Parris Island. To be happy?...To be sad?...Yes!! I'm quite sure I am not the only one out there that feels that way. Is hard to pass by his room and know that no matter how many times I pass, he will not be there. I thank God this morning for gift he gave me 21 years ago..and I pray for a safe journey for him. I gave him a my blessings, and his answer was "I love you, I be back and you will be proud" I guess thats the strength I need for the next 12 wks. Does anyone else left this morning from Miami?

Enid  Estevez Avatar

Well hello , I'm glad to hear from you ladies, Christine, Margaret and Pattie...today I just got an official letter from my son (not his handwriting, but typed) never the less I heard from him and I felt like a lil girl when she gets her favorite candy. LOL :D. Yes no matter from where and what nationality, we are all together on this journey of our boys ;). My favorite prayer every night is "Let the time fly by fast enough as my Guardian Angels watch over them to give them strength, and support to each other" I just wanted to share it with you all. Yes ten wks and counting!!! Margaret your son's graduation is 11/18 unfortunately My son's graduation is Nov 4th. No matter you have to keep us post it so we can celebrate with you too. How about your Christine and Pattie,when is yours. Need updates, and remember "we are all on this together"
:).. Enid

Posted by: Enid Estevez on 08/17/2011

Christine Mallimo-Orna Avatar

Enid, did you get an address for your son yet? I got one on Friday, and of course sent him a letter right away as well as a letter that my 4 year old daughter wrote to him. I have heard that the first week is the hardest and it's great to know that they've made it past the first part. I am looking forward to getting a letter back from my son and even more excited about the graduation ceremony. I hope you are doing well, I know my stress levels went down when I got the address although I am still nervous for him.

Posted by: Christine Mallimo-Orna on 08/17/2011

Margaret Williamson Avatar

Enid,

Maybe we will meet up at graduation on 11/18/11. You sound just like I do, scared, excited and proud. I wish your son luck and encouragement over the next 12 weeks. Good luck to you also, you did a fine job obviously with your son.

Margii

Posted by: Margaret Williamson on 08/15/2011

Enid  Estevez Avatar

Thank you Christine, knowing that I'm not alone, every word and every blessing helps. First week is tough for them as it is for us moms, I have made several letters, but I still don't have an address to send the letters. Does anyone else knows how long we have to wait for that information?

Posted by: Enid Estevez on 08/11/2011

Christine Mallimo-Orna Avatar

My son also left on Aug 8th for Parris Island, but we live in NJ and he was sent out of Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn. I understand how you feel, I am so sad yet so proud. I know he has wanted to be a Marine since he was a child, it was his lifelong dream. Good luck and God bless our sons for being such brave young men!

Posted by: Christine Mallimo-Orna on 08/11/2011

pattie crew Avatar

Reading from the past posts on this site and talking to the recruiters, the address information comes 14-18 days after shipping out. Before my son left we talked to a pharmacy assistant who had a son that was a recent Marine recruit. She got her letter exactly two weeks after her son left. Hold on girls, we will get our letters in a week. Then we can say 10 weeks to go and counting. Semper Fi....pc

Posted by: pattie crew on 08/16/2011

pattie crew Avatar

Really cool that we are global in regards to our kids entering on the same day and being from different regions. We are all in the same boat and we will keep out ship steadfast until these recruits earn the title of "Marine."

Posted by: pattie crew on 08/16/2011