Julie Leao Avatar

Son leaving for boot camp

Posted By: Julie Leao 08-04-11

My son is heading to Parris Island on Monday, August 8th. I am so proud of him, but I have many mixed emotions and I am hoping to connect with other parents that have or will be going thru the same thing.

Evelyn Soto Avatar

my son left to paris island the 29 and i dont stop cry is hard for me i was thinking i was the only one

Posted by: Evelyn Soto on 09/07/2011

Cindy Bolling Avatar

My son arrived at Parris Island on Aug. 8th as well. I never did receive that 10sec. phone call either. We had to call recruiter for the next 2 days. Finally on Wed. we were told that he did arrive there but didn't know why I didn't receive a call. The next day on Thurs. (while my husband and I were at work) my son called the recruiters and they got what should have been my call...Still don't know why it happened that way. This is so much harder that I thought it would be my son has wanted this since he was 8 years old so it has not been a suprise to me. Crying every day and can't even go in his room. Waiting anxiously on his address. His best friend shipped out 1 week earlier and his mother never got her form letter with the address on it. Has anyone else who's son arrived Aug. 8th gotten an address yet. I already have a letter written sealed in an envelope and ready to go. Just waiting on the address. I MISS him so much.

Posted by: Cindy Bolling on 08/15/2011

Christie Nikola Avatar

Julie, The recruiter said that as soon as he gets there they will make a quick phone call to you saying that they are there and do not send food or bulk mail and thank you for your support then hang up. But I was also told that if there is a block for private caller they can not reach you. Do you have a block on your phone. I found on (you tube) if you type in parris island bootcamp you can see alot of things that are happening at bootcamp.

Posted by: Christie Nikola on 08/10/2011

Maria Burkhead Avatar

Just ran to the mailbox again--still nothing. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get an address for our children at Paris Island so that we can send letters to them.
Hope everyone is staying strong-I'm trying and it has only been 9 days but feels so much longer.

Posted by: Maria Burkhead on 08/10/2011

Cindy Bolling Avatar

I still have not gotten an address either Maria. Was hoping I would have gotten it by now especially since I didn't get a phone call from him when he arrived. I guess if I don't get it today I will call his recruiter to try to get it..I already have a letter sealed in an envelope ready to go and so does his sister..Its been 10 days since I have had any contact with him seems like 10 years..

Posted by: Cindy Bolling on 08/17/2011

Christie Nikola Avatar

My son also left Aug 8th for Parris Island. We are from Toms River, but thankfully he left with 2 other poolee that be became friends with. I received my phone call last night at 10:34 pm that was very hard. I have 2 small children and they are taking it hard so we decided to start writing a journal on how we feel everyday and my smallest draws pictures in the book. We will all make it through ok they may be our babies but they all do have to grow up sometime.

Posted by: Christie Nikola on 08/09/2011

Julie Leao Avatar

I have not received a call yet... I am worried. I hate this and miss him so much. I'm sure he is there and is fine, but was expecting the call. I spoke to his recruiter this morning and he said Mike should have called but it could take a couple days so I will sit and wait. Others have said they never got a call, so who knows. I just can't wait to start writing letters. We have started a journal too... I'm hoping it helps all of us get through this.

Posted by: Julie Leao on 08/09/2011

Debbie Landry Avatar

Julie, I did call his recruiter several times and left messages - my husband even went to the office several times - but finally today, the recruiter messaged me back saying that he had been in training for the last week - he said that my son did arriver at Parris Island and as far as he knew everything was OK - so thanks for your advice - I appreciated it - God Bless you and we will stay STRONG and survivie this - you know the courage and strength that our young men have shown shows that we raised them to be fine young men that have the courage to protect our country.

And how Proud we will be when they are up there marching in those Marine uniforms. But until then, God give them the strength to endure the unknown.

Love to stay in touch, Debbie

Posted by: Debbie Landry on 08/09/2011

Karen Farrell Avatar

I just read all these posts and I know I am not alone. My son left Sunday, and I am having
a very difficult time. It was him and I for so long together that I miss him so much. I have
two older children, and when they moved out it was Michael and I. I knew I would be sad
but I didn't think it would be this hard. I know he is just shipping today, he hasn't arrived
yet and I do hope to get that call, but his recruiter told him to warn me I might not get it.
I do know he is doing what he has wanted to do and he was more than pepared to go.
I would like to keep in touch as well to see how we all are doing during these 13 weeks.

Posted by: Karen Farrell on 08/08/2011

Julie Leao Avatar

Thank you all for you kind words and I know that talking with all of you and having an outlet will help me get thru these 13 weeks. It was bittersweet to see him this morning during the swearing in ceremony. I am so proud of him and this path he chose, but I am still his mom and as you all know... we worry. And that will never go away. He is 17 years old and will turn 18 during boot camp on September 2nd. His sister who is 7 years old is having a really tough time with this. She is very close with him and already feels lost. My 12 year old son is on the autism spectrum (high functioning) and doesn't understand fully and seems to be lashing out instead of showing sadness. Again thank you all and I hope to continue helping each other thru this. Take care and God bless

Posted by: Julie Leao on 08/08/2011

keith palmer Avatar

My son left on may 15th and graduates on aug 12th. The first few weeks are hard but stay with it parents, it does get better. Their first two letters will be rough, but will get better after that. We are leaving wed the 10th for Beaufort SC and can't wait to see him again. You will be feeling prouder as the weeks go by.

Posted by: keith palmer on 08/08/2011

Denise Nichols Avatar

Hi Julie,
My son also is leaving tomorrow August 8th, however to San Diego. I just got back from taking him to his hotel. I would love to find out your experience. I, too, am flooded with emotions. I am very proud for this step he is taking but very worried for his safety as his mom. He is my baby, albeit a 6'4" baby. I hope I will not be a basket case at work tomorrow.

Posted by: Denise Nichols on 08/07/2011

Karen Farrell Avatar

My son too is leaving for Parris Island on Aug 8th. He left today for Syracuse. It was a hard goodbye,
but I am excited for him too. It will be a long three months though waiting to see him again, this time as a Marine!!

Posted by: Karen Farrell on 08/07/2011

Julie Kepley Avatar

I just came back from dropping my son off. He is headed to Parris Island tomorrow. I too am experiencing several emotions.....not sure what to do with them all! Maybe we can support each other through the next 13 weeks. Anyone else out there have a child leaving tomorrow?

Posted by: Julie Kepley on 08/07/2011

Tanya Boutot Avatar

My daughter hits PI on the 8th also which means she leaves us tomorrow the 7th. I would love to stay in touch as our children make their way through the experience of becoming a Marine. My husband is active duty Army and I am prior service. We have on other daughter just entering hs. Would love to connect with other parents experiencing the initial flight of their children

Posted by: Tanya Boutot on 08/06/2011

Jill Sines Avatar

Hi Tanya:) I am the proud mom of a female Marine & just wanted to say congratulations and hang in there for the ride of your life thru bootcamp! She will become an awesome young lady, though she is already so due to the fact that she has chosen the Marine Corps:)

Posted by: Jill Sines on 08/08/2011

Debbie Landry Avatar

Julie,

I am new to this, but my son left for Parris Island on August 1, 2011. I was told by his recruiter that we would get a phone call from him. It would be read in message form "Recruit has arrived at Parris Island". We still are waiting for that call. It has been a hard time letting him go. I cried many tears and am trying to cope with his decision. He decided to request active service and he requested the infantry. I and my family are so Proud of him and all the men and women that make the decision to serve their country. I can only put his fate into God's hands and pray that he will protect him. God protect your son, my son, and all the young people in the armed services to give them the strength and courage to endure what this journey has in store for them. How old is your son, mine is 24 and he also is a twin. If your would like to keep in touch and are on Facebook, I am Debra Aucoin Landry.

Debbie

Posted by: Debbie Landry on 08/06/2011

Julie Leao Avatar

Debbie, Thanks for the response. I was told by Mike's recruiter if we don't get a call by tonight between 12- 2am to call him first thing tomorrow morning. I can't believe it has been a week for you. I would definitley call his recruiter and find out what's going on. This is so hard as a mother... I still see him as my little boy. He is 17 years old, just graduated hs and will be 18 on September 2nd. I just can't wait for november to come around! Take care and God bless!

Posted by: Julie Leao on 08/08/2011

Suzette Smith Avatar

You are probably already aware but you will receive an 8 second call the night he gets to Parris Island from your son letting you know he arrived safely. Their is NO conversation he will read from a script. If you have the capability of being able to record it do! My sons (twins) left on 7/26/11 and I received their calls at 7:01 and 7:03 and unfortunately, didn't think to record them. You will receive a form letter from them giving you the correct address to write and what you could NOT send. I received mine on 8/3/11 about a week after they left. So, write often as it would be a downer to get in line for mail call and not receive anything. You need to stay positive and ALWAYS write positive things - the last thing they need is to hear bad news. I am so proud of my boys as I'm sure you are yours!

Posted by: Suzette Smith on 08/06/2011

Beth Agler Avatar

Hi -my daughter left 7-26 for boot camp and we just got her first letter. She doing well and says not to worry. She is very athletic so we thought she would do fine but you still worry. Im sure your son will do fine too. You feel much better when you hear it from them. She is also at Parris Island. We had an excellent recruiter who was very informative and made sure she knew what to expect. We live in OHio -where are you from? Let me know how things go for you. Just so you know you will cry like a baby when you get that first letter cause its so good to hear from them!

Posted by: Beth Agler on 08/06/2011

Tonya Godkin Avatar

Hello My name is Tonya Godkin,
My son will be leaving on August 8th also. We were originially told he would leave in Nov, aproximately 1 month ago at their infamous "fun days..lol" well exactly 1 week ago Friday he was called by his recruiter and told he was leaving Monday August 8th.. I can very much appreciate your mixture of feelings because I am and have been going through the same feelings as you..please respond back and maybe we can keep in touch and help each other out..I am reaching out to someone the same as you

Posted by: Tonya Godkin on 08/06/2011

Julie Leao Avatar

Tonya, Watching Mike this morning during the swearing in ceremony was bittersweet. I am so proud, but he will always be my little boy and I am scared and feel lost. I am hoping connecting with everyone on here will help get me thru. It must have been tough to have his date changed... they tried to do that with Mike but he said No. It was a week after his hs graduation and he wanted more time to "be a kid". But I could tell this morning he was ready... lets definitely keep in touch. Take care and God bless

Posted by: Julie Leao on 08/08/2011

Maria Burkhead Avatar

Hi Julie I would love to stay in touch. My son left for Paris Island on August 1st and I never even received the 3 second call that the recruiter said we would get so that has been a little hard. Good luck to your son and I can say that mine hasn't even been there for a week and it feels like a year.

Posted by: Maria Burkhead on 08/05/2011

Julie Leao Avatar

Maria, As I said to Debbie above... Mikes recruiter told me to call him tomorrow morning if I do not receive a call tonight. We as mothers need to know our sons have arrived safely..This is one of the hardest things we are ever going to have to do. Take care and God bless

Posted by: Julie Leao on 08/08/2011