Loretta Smith Avatar

My first born son shipped today

Posted By: Loretta Smith 07-25-11

Today is the day that I looked forward to and dreaded at the same time. Granted I have had months to come to the realization that he was actually leaving but you dont really believe it until they are on that plane.

Yesterday we had a going away party for him that consisted of his closest friends and tons of family. What an emotional day that was especially when I had to drop him off at the Recruiting Station yesterday evening knowing that I would not see him for 12 weeks.

We are so proud of him and I look forward to my first letter from him.

My heart is broken at the thought of him being gone but so proud of his choice and await graduation on October 21st in San Diego.

Linda Smith Avatar

Family

My grandson also graduates October 21st, and I am so excited and miss him very much. We dropped him off in Santa Rosa on Sunday, and it was forever until his call Monday night at 11:15 P.M. Can't wait to get his address. To add to the confusion my daughter is expecting her baby on the day before graduation. I have confidence that the baby will came early!

Posted by: Linda Smith on 08/02/2011

Loretta Smith Avatar

I have found out that my son is 2nd Battalion, Hotel Company. I am simply waiting on his platoon number in order to write him.

Posted by: Loretta Smith on 08/01/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

Hi Loretta...my son left the same day for Parris Island. It has been so hard on us. We did the same thing, had an open house (party) for him the day before he left with close friends & family. Most of his friends have friended me on facebook now, it's nice to talk to them about Tim. I am desperately waiting for an address. I too,am looking forward to October 21st...I miss him more than words could even begin to express!

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/02/2011

Melissa Bennett Avatar

Hi Loretta,

The letting go is so very hard! It's only been three weeks since my son left for MCRD San Diego and it feels like so much longer! But around day 10, we got the info to write him and we've sent letters every day. Just this past Friday we got one from him. I'm not sure there's been a happier day in quite a while in the Bennett house! lol - It's tough knowing how he's homesick, but he is still determined to follow his dream. So glad for that!

I understand completely how your heart feels! It's like a big chunk has been shipped to San Diego! And I'm heavy with the concern and the unknown. I've been keeping as busy as possible so I don't dwell on that. And, of course, I'm praying for him every second.

God is with them and He's a whole lot bigger than anyone else. Your son will grow more in the next few weeks than you ever thought possible. And when you see him in October, you won't believe your eyes! So proud of their choice to become Marines!

I'm here for you anytime you want to talk. We're all together in this! HUGS and prayers for you and yours! - Melissa

Posted by: Melissa Bennett on 08/01/2011

Jennifer Kemp Avatar

Hi i was so excited to hear that your son is in the same platoon as Brandon (my son) I was a little confused though my son graduates sept 9th an you said your son graduates in oct. not sure why ....brandon left the 13th of may is your son in Lima comp? You should get your first letter in two weeks . It is the hardest because its all new to them an they are homesick. You will get a phone call in one week its like a recording of your son saying he got there safe an he will send you his address in 2weeks. you cant talk to him or anything they just read a script like a recording an hang up. It broke my heart I was telling him I love you over an over and then they hang up. You will get letters coming in like everyday after about 3 or 4th week. I have to run I got to go to church. Ill write you again . God Bless you an your Recriut!.......Jen

Posted by: Jennifer Kemp on 07/31/2011

Cornelio Lugo Jr Avatar

I know exactly how you feel, it was bitter sweet the day our son was picked up to stay over night at the hotel then leave the next morning. I made it a point to make the swearing-in ceremony, which I am so glad I did not miss! It is an event that will stay with me forever, the look on the recruits face standing tall and without even blinking their eyes. It was a most memorable experience that I believe all parents should see. The best part of that day was, me being able to spend a few hours with him prior to him leaving to the airport. Our son left July 18th and is scheduled to graduate on October 14, 2011.

Keep in mind, the recruiter is there to help you in any way they can, therefore if you ask them to supply you with your son's address and platoon etc, they will be more than happy to give it to you once it's made available to them in their system. Good luck to you and your son. "Semper Fi"

Posted by: Cornelio Lugo Jr on 07/30/2011

Lawrence Kunert Avatar

Locate your local Blue Star Mothers of America chapter and join. You will have fun and help all the service personnel and have the support from your "sisters" who have been there and know how you feel and what you are going thru.

Posted by: Lawrence Kunert on 07/28/2011

Gwen Brussell Avatar

Our son also shipped out to San Diego on the 25th of July. Didn't receive our phone called until Tuesday evening. Can't wait to see him in October. Very proud parents of a USMC recruit.

Posted by: Gwen Brussell on 07/27/2011

Kathleen Sproston Avatar

My son also shipped out on the same day, however he shipped to Parris Island. I have already begun to write him letters can't wait to get his address!

Posted by: Kathleen Sproston on 07/27/2011

Cornelio Lugo Jr Avatar

Hello Kathleen,
You should contact your son's recruiter, he should be able to get his address and platoon, co etc. I asked our son's recruiter and in a couple of days I received the address, which made our day. We had already started to write letters and mailed them the next day after having the address. Get extra stamps and envelopes to send with your letters. Our son asked for lots of pictures! Our son graduates October 14, 2011 from MCRD of San Diego. Good luck, and God bless you and your son! "Semper fi"

Posted by: Cornelio Lugo Jr on 07/30/2011