Patricia Hamilton Avatar

Parris Island 7/17/2011

Posted By: Patricia Hamilton 07-18-11

My son Joe left fo Parris Island today...Joe has talked of wanting to become a Marine for a couple of years now and I'll admit I wasn't crazy about it at first, but after talking with him a lot I realized that he truly felt that this was his "calling". So last August, his father and I signed the early delayed enlistment papers as he was only 17, and had to finish high school. Joe graduated from high school in June, and has been preparing to leave for the past few weeks. It was so hard for me to say goodbye today, and I miss him so much already, but I am holding on to the fact that this was his dream and his courage and commitment to go after it is something that I have to support. I am looking forward to the phone call, just so I can hear his voice.

Vanessa Shelton Avatar

My youngest son left for Paris Island on July 18th. It was heartwrenching to see him off. Time has passed so slowly, but I made travel arrangements for graduation last week and am looking forward to seeing him again on Family Day, October 13th. I try to write him daily because he said the only thing he had to look forward to was mail call and meals. He says the food is great but they only get 5 minutes to eat. I have been amazed that he writes almost every day. I sent him address labels and stamps. He said the labels saved him 5 minutes on each letter and his whole platoon was jealous! If your new recruit just left, in the first letter to them, send blister bandaids loose in the envelope. They have new boots and lots of hiking that is indicitive of blisters. He has asked for facial wipes, paper for writting, Sports Illustrated Magazines, pens, and return address labels. I've sent these items in manila envelopes or padded envelopes. A couple of times I printed his Face Book page where his friends had sent him best wishes or birthday wishes. He really enjoyed that. Another thing that is appreciated is snapshots of family and friends. Just remember space is limited in the barricks so nothing large. Hope this helps others that are just sending their recruits.

Posted by: Vanessa Shelton on 09/11/2011

Liz Fruzzetti Avatar

I am from Berkley, Mass. My son Michael left on July 18th for Parris Island . I have noticed several people here, that have son's that left on the same date. Also one in particular that lives about 20 minutes from me ! Well, I couldn't even begin to describe how much I miss my youngest ! Mike turned 18 on June 28th! He made the decision to join the USMC during his junior year in high school. I am.. like so many of you, Proud, and admire my son for making this decision. I recieved his phone call at 12:52 a.m. on the 19th . I wasn't expecting a " recorded " message, though, and was very sad and did not sleep the rest of the night. I am anxiously awaiting my first letter, as I have some here, just waiting to be mailed ! I am quite disappointed that he can't recieve any " Goodie" pkg's ! There are sooo many family member's and friend's that keep asking me "When" they can mail them to Mike :/ I send my Michael " Positive thoughts and vibes " everyday ! :) I have purchased some Marine " stuff " on-line such as a
'Marine Mom " and Dad t-shirts, car decals, ect... and fly our USMC Flag very proudly on our house, which will stay there for his entire time in the Marines . Thinking of all of you and sending warm , comforting thoughts your way . ( Wow... this is long ! )

Posted by: Liz Fruzzetti on 07/27/2011

Liz Fruzzetti Avatar

Hi Everyone ,
My son Michael left for Parris Island on Mon, July 18th. I am from Berkley, Mass. I have noticed several people on this site, that are from my area ! Ofcourse like so many other's I am awaiting my son's first letter. It has been quite a Roller coaster ride for sure. I can't walk into Mike's room without completely losing my emotions . I am incredibly proud of his decision to join the Marines and know this path will open many door's for him in the future. Mike turned 18 on June 28th ! I love my boy more than word's could ever say !! Looking forward to connecting with everyone !

Posted by: Liz Fruzzetti on 07/27/2011

Steven Slapikas Avatar

Patricia,
I am from central Connecticut and I our sons may be together now. On the 17th my son went up to Springfield and then flew out on the 18th from Bradley. I am still waiting for some kind of form letter from him, if not for any other reason just to see his handwriting. Anyway try to keep busy and stay patient, Talk to you again!!

Steve

Posted by: Steven Slapikas on 07/27/2011

Steven Slapikas Avatar

My son also left went in on 7/18/11 to Parris Island. I am so proud he went. He has been talking about it since he was 12 and I had to sign the papers so he can join because he doesnt turn 18 until the end of this month. His recruiting officer told me to expect a scripted call late on his first night, I got that and the only thing I was able to say was "hello". I sent him a letter already thanks to the address I received from his recruiter. Cant wait to get a letter back. Advice to other parents, be proud and patient!!

Steve

Posted by: Steven Slapikas on 07/26/2011

corban Dale Avatar

Former Marine

Well my advice for you and all who have a son or a daughter in bootcamp send them lots of mail, letters from home will help carry them through the trials of parris island . and make them up beat and fun , even if your not feeling that way atm . maybe write down what your going through in another note book .and give that to him years later .

Posted by: corban Dale on 07/22/2011

Dell Crumpton Avatar

Patricia,
My son left July 18, 2011 for Parris Island also. I share your same feelings. I did not get a call from my son after seeing him leave from Fort Lee. Neither did his recruiter when I called the next day. He did check the computer and saw he had been processed. I am praying for him and all the guys. This heat is another worry. He told me they would not sleep for three days. I do not know if the three day count began when they arrived or when they left from Fort Lee. Do you know? I want to send him something and do not know what to send besides mail. What state are you in? Dell

Posted by: Dell Crumpton on 07/21/2011

Patricia Hamilton Avatar

Hi Dell,
I am from Mansfield, MA. I got the call from my son very early on 7/19. It was very quick with him shouting a scripted message, and then he hung up before I could say anything. But, you know, it was somehow comforting... I knew that he has made it, and that he was beginning his path to his dream. Keep in touch with you recruiter, he can locate your son once he is fully processed and even give you his battalion, platoon #, and co. he has been assigned to. I know they are pretty strict with regard to mail... no care packages etc. I guess when they send out the first letter, they state all this on a form. I do think it gets pretty hot, but I am sure they make these recruits drink plenty of water. I have to believe that my son will be well taken care of. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Posted by: Patricia Hamilton on 07/22/2011

VIVIAN RODRIGUEZ Avatar

Hello Patricia, My name is Vivian and my son left for Parris Island on 07/11. He is also 17 and graduated this past June. Marine Corps is all he talked about since he was 11. I have yet to receive mail from him. It shouldn't be more than a few more days, I hope! I'm so thankful for this blog that gives us a type of support system. We are all experiencing a sense of pride yet anxious for our sons and daughters that are undertaking this courageous task. Hope to keep in touch.

Posted by: VIVIAN RODRIGUEZ on 07/21/2011

Community Manager Avatar

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Vivian, Thanks for your feedback and participation on LifeAsAMarine.com. Please continue to comment and feel free to submit a story to the site.
-LifeAsAMarine.com Community Manager

Posted by: Community Manager on 07/21/2011

Jennifer Baker Avatar

My son also left on July 17, 2011 going to Parris Island. He is 20. I have never gone more than two days without talking to him much less weeks. I was reading in one of the pamphlets that he gave me that the recruits could call when they arrived to let their parents know they had arrived safety, but I haven't heard from my son. Do you know if they actually do get to call? If so, I hope you hear from your son soon.

Posted by: Jennifer Baker on 07/20/2011

Patricia Hamilton Avatar

Hi Jennifer, I did get a call at 12:52 a.m. Tuesday. It was exactly as they described it would be, and although I didn't get to speak to him, it was comforting to hear his voice, and to know that he made it there safely. I saw and spoke with my son daily as he lived with me, so now, as you can probably imagine the house is eerily quiet. This website seems to offer a lot of information and support. I will probably check in daily. I also started to write my son letters which I will mail as soon as I get his address. Writing the letters has been comforting and seems to make me stronger. Hope you have heard from your son by now and please keep in touch.

Posted by: Patricia Hamilton on 07/20/2011

corban Dale Avatar

Former Marine

There has been alot with that same calling so it cant be bad . I hope your son fulfills his dream.

Posted by: corban Dale on 07/19/2011

Patricia Hamilton Avatar

Thanks Corban. I am very proud of my son, and the choice he has made for himself. I will support him as best as I am able throughout the coming weeks. Any advice that you feel like sharing?

Posted by: Patricia Hamilton on 07/20/2011