Robin Fortier Avatar

I finally received a letter!

Posted By: Robin Fortier 07-03-11

My son also headed out on June 20th and yesterday I finally received a letter. Was so good to finally hear from him, and it sounds like it is harder than he thought, but he said it is finally coming together. I am so glad I found everyone here, going through the same thing as I am. What an emotional roller coaster this is! Has anyone else received a letter yet?

mary kurdila Avatar

My son left a week and a day ago and I havent received his address yet. I texted the recruiter about 4 days ago and he said the address hadnt been posted. I texted him yesterday and he hasnt responded. is there a way to find out the address without waiting for my son's letter?

Posted by: mary kurdila on 08/09/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

Elva & Linda,
I received that first letter from the DI today with an address. You have to wait for a company & platoon number. I'm hearing from other moms that you can call his recruiter also to see if he has an address yet. I'm so glad i finally heard something!!!! Have either of you heard anything?

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/04/2011

Avis Ivey Avatar

Yes, my son left out on June 27th and I have received three letters from him. The first two letters brought me bucket tears, but the third letter made me smile. It's hard because are babies have never left us but at the end it's so rewarding.

Posted by: Avis Ivey on 08/04/2011

Sherri  Watt Avatar

My son left on 7/26, I am hoping that I didn't miss his call my phone was on and off due to the storm here in Chicago. After following facebook and signing up for parents. When I returned home today I got my letter and this is only week 2.

I have never been so happy to get mail, it was if a load was lifted. Just stay postive and give off those good vibes, it also helps if you keep yourself busy.

Posted by: Sherri Watt on 08/03/2011

Terri Dowd Avatar

My son just left two days ago, 8/1, but he has three friends who went before him in the last two months, so I'm starting to get a clue of how things go. The first letter you will receive should be a form letter from their DI, which includes your child's mailing address (this generally takes @ 10 days). After their name (Ex: Rct Jones, Mike A)tThis consists of their Battalion # (RTBn), their Platoon # (Plt), and their company letter (A for Alpha, etc). The third line is a POBox #. The last line is Parris Island, SC 29905, followed by a dash & the LAST four digits of the POBox #.

I don't think they realize that we have to wait for the initial form letter, because two of his friends wrote to their parents asking why they hadn't written to them yet. It's heartbreaking, because you want to mail a letter right away! I too started a letter the day after he left, & I am just going to keep adding to it until I can mail it.

IMPORTANT!! While there may be some heartbreaking things in their letters, LET IT GO! Trust me, the other moms have told me that by the time they would get your letter talking about the things they were complaining about, they have moved way past it. Don't dwell on it. It is super important to STAY POSITIVE. DO NOT focus on how much you miss them, it will only make them feel bad. Instead, just talk to them like you would if they were still home. Fill them in on what's been going on back home (although don't tell them about all the fun things they are missing! lol). Keep your letters upbeat. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't tell them in closing that you miss them & love them, just don't make your letter one long sad mess of how much you miss your little boy (or girl). They are men & women now. They are going to be forever changed, for the better.

Terri

Posted by: Terri Dowd on 08/03/2011

Avis Ivey Avatar

Thank you for the uplift!

Posted by: Avis Ivey on 08/05/2011

Elva Hamilton Avatar

TO Comment 11 my son also left July 25th and I haven't heard from him either. We got a phone call around 3:00 Am the day he left but it wasn't him it was like a voice mail or something, We were confused. I don't even have an address to write he promised me he would send me a letter no later than 2 weeks after he got there. Its now been 1 week and I'm going crazy. Do you have an address I see all these other comments and it seems no one has the right address to write. Do you have one

Posted by: Elva Hamilton on 08/03/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

Did you get it yet? I got mine today. I hope it's right. See my note above about contacting his recruiter not the DI...but the recruiter. My son is in 3rd BN, LIMA CO, PLT 3085

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/04/2011

Linda Smith Avatar

Family

Cindy, my grandson left the same day your son did. We miss him also. I was really worried when I hadn't received my call 9 P.M. FINALLY at 11:15 P.M. he called. I had been for worned about the call and what to expect. Please don't worry, the two weeks are not up yet, and they said we would not hear anything until then. I'm new at this so I don't even know if you'll get this. I believe we are suppose to get his address by weeks end. Take care. It is very hard but will get easier as the time goes by.

Posted by: Linda Smith on 08/02/2011

Reshan Blackwell Avatar

My son just left yesterday for Parris Island. I am having such a hard time dealing with it. I cry every time I think of him being away. This is something he has always wanted but the "mommy in me" worries so much about him and hoping that he is going to be okay!

Posted by: Reshan Blackwell on 08/02/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

My son left on July 25th. i am going crazy waiting to hear from him!! I started writing him the day he left so I can send out a nice long letter. Now I'm worried he won't get it. I see a lot of you had some trouble at first, is it better. Has everyone heard from their sons? Please give me any advice you can. It's one week today since he left and I desperately want to hear from him and I want to make sure he gets my mail.

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/01/2011

melinda watson Avatar

My son left July 10th for Parris Island. Our letter showed an address of P. O. Box 16145. I noticed there was one entry that showed someone with a po box 16245. We didn't get our letter until 7/21 and we began writing letters last Friday. We received one from him yesterday that he had not received any mail. Do you think there are different po boxes OR that he just hasn't had time to get ours yet? Wonder how I could find out. Thanks.

Posted by: melinda watson on 07/27/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

Have you heard from him yet? I should be getting my sons address any day now...i hope.

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/02/2011

Melissa Henderson Avatar

My son left on June 21 and I got 2 letters on July 2. I wrote back immediately but just got another letter asking why I have't written. The first PO Box address I got is different from the one on his latest letter. The latest letter actually has the #4 scratched out with a #3 written over it - also in the 4 digit zip code, too. Do we know if the mail is going to the right place? His first letter was very positive...this one is definitely not. I'm so sad right now.

Posted by: Melissa Henderson on 07/10/2011

Rochelle Jahlas Avatar

Same here Melissa, first letter was very positive the second seemed like things were getting tougher and he was homesick. The PO Box he writes on the letters is different then then one I was given but he said he has been getting my letters.

Posted by: Rochelle Jahlas on 07/12/2011

Robin Fortier Avatar

I am in the same boat. I have received 5 letters from him and have sent out 3 and he has yet to receive any of mine. I am so frustrated because i can imagine his disappointment when he doesnt get any mail. He gave me a po box number 16245 so i will try that and keep my fingers crossed he gets them. By the way, we are from vermont and he is in platoon 2076. How is everyone holding up?

Posted by: Robin Fortier on 07/12/2011

corban Dale Avatar

Former Marine

Well on that typed letter , Well atleast the one that was givin to me by a recruits mother it had his senior DI's Email and and a cell no# If there is a chance he may not be getting your mail you may want to ask that marine He would know. mail call was thw highlight of the day for me during my time there. and it is very important to every recruit.

Posted by: corban Dale on 07/08/2011

Rochelle Jahlas Avatar

My son also left on June 20th, for Parris Island. I received my first letter 7/2/11. I feel a lot better now because he told me it was "cool" and also said the food was amazing, a lot better then what he was expecting. He ended the letter by saying tell everyone I miss them, you especially...I have probably read that letter 25 times and now I'm waiting patiently for the next one to come.

Posted by: Rochelle Jahlas on 07/07/2011

Tina Hampton Avatar

I have received two letters from my son. But I am not sure if he is getting mine!! The typed letter that I received first; the P.O. Box is 16245; but the P.O. Box from my son is 1635!! He is in Plt 2007 2nd Bn, Fox Co. Can anyone help me??? I want to make sure that he is getting my letters!!! Thanks

Posted by: Tina Hampton on 07/06/2011

Rochelle Jahlas Avatar

This is the address I got from the recruiter for my son.
2ND BATTALION / FOX COMPANY / PLT 2077
MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT
PARRIS ISLAND, SC 29905

The return address on the letter he sent me, he wrote PO Box 16235, now I'm wondering if I should be putting a Po. Box on the letters I send to him.

Posted by: Rochelle Jahlas on 07/08/2011

Rochelle Jahlas Avatar

I just looked over the typed letter I received from him and the address on there is different then the one I got from the recruiter

PLT 2077, 2nd Bn, F Co
P.O. Box 16245
Parris Island, SC 29905

I really hope he is getting all the letters we have sent and thank you for bringing this to my attention

Posted by: Rochelle Jahlas on 07/08/2011

Caprice Long Avatar

Yes, I received mine on 7/2. My son is in 2072 platoon, 2nd battalion F Co. What platoon is your son in? My son said he was homesick the first week but he is getting used to it. Not sure he is getting use to everything. I felt like it was Christmas when I received the letter in the mail. I immediately wrote him that night and so did his sister. I'm going to send him a card today. I'm going to try and send him a letter/card every three days. Remind your son's friends to write as well. That will make him so happy. Our recrutier told us not to give him any bad news at all. So we are following that rule.

Posted by: Caprice Long on 07/06/2011