Marlene Rivera Avatar

Boot Camp 6/13/2011

Posted By: Marlene Rivera 07-01-11

I just received a letter from my son and I was excited to receive it but very sad after I read it. Apparently, he is having a hard time but I know that he is strong and will make it. He ask me for family pictures and I want to know if this a good idea to send pictures? I don't want his training to be harder than what it is.

Lakeeta Voss Davis Avatar

Hi! My son left for boot camp at Parris Island the same day and has also asked for pictures and I keep hearing that it's OK. They will hang or store them in their foot locker. His recruiter said as long as they are G rated pictures there should be no worries. What platoon is your son in?

Posted by: Lakeeta Voss Davis on 07/10/2011

Marlene Rivera Avatar

Thanks so much for you input. I send him pictures and he wrote to say he found comfort at looking at loving familiar faces. My son is in platoon PLT 1070 1st Bn.

Posted by: Marlene Rivera on 07/11/2011

David Crawford Avatar

Our son is in Delta Company and he too had a difficult time. We all want them all to succeed. We sent pictures. many letters. They diffenitly go through a live changing training to break them down then build them back up stronger, loyal, and polite. Most I talk to say they all have doubts. Our son has never been away from home and now he is homesick. But we encourage them to stay the course and be better than they were when they left.

Posted by: David Crawford on 07/10/2011

corban Dale Avatar

Former Marine

His Letters will get more positive as his time in boot camp goes . pictures are fine just no off color things. I was dazed and confused for while during my time there also .

Posted by: corban Dale on 07/09/2011

Marlene Rivera Avatar

your input is very comforting coming from an former marine. thank so much.

Posted by: Marlene Rivera on 07/11/2011

Kathleen Walker Avatar

You can send pictures, they are encouraged. My son told his girlfriend not to send any of them kissing or anything like that. I just sent regular family pics.

Posted by: Kathleen Walker on 07/06/2011