carol Mcdonald Avatar

My son left today 6/27 for Parris Island

Posted By: carol Mcdonald 06-27-11

I would love to communicate with other mom's whose sons have just gone in....to give eachother encouragement if they are further along than my son. This was so tough today....saying goodbye and watching him run to get on the bus. My x didn't reach the phone in time so all we had was a log of a call from a restricted number coming in. Darn. I am sure my son is tired, nervous and wish he could have spoken to his dad. Damn, this is hard.

liz vargas Avatar

oh wow,my son left 6/26/2011 and it was the hardest thing to do was let him leave he was able to take his phone and use it for about an hr before he couldnt make anymore phone calls then his recruiter sent me his phone im in the same boat your in ive recieved sooo far 4 letters from him and ive been sentding him 2 letters a week not too long he says he barely has time to do anything how is your son dealing with bootcamp? hope,is doing well and is getting alot of rest god bless my son and yours : )

Posted by: liz vargas on 08/12/2011

Dell Crumpton Avatar

My son left July 18 for Parris Island. He is in Golf Batallion, Plt. 2080-2086. Hopefully I will have the exact Plt. when I hear from him. I would greatly appreciate hearing from others. Thank you.
Dell

Posted by: Dell Crumpton on 07/22/2011

liz vargas Avatar

have u gotten his address yet?it was about a week an a half before i got my sons address and he left june 26 2011 i preety much get a letter from him everyother week he is in plt 3073

Posted by: liz vargas on 08/12/2011

Dell Crumpton Avatar

I hope your son is doing well. I would love to find a way to talk to you directly as I see our circumstances are similar. Not sure how we can do this.

Posted by: Dell Crumpton on 07/22/2011

Rita Martin Avatar

It was definitely the toughest day for me yet, as a mother. I am so proud of my son's decision to become a US Marine! I finally received a letter today, it was delayed because I moved out to San Diego a week after he shipped out. What a relief this site is, I love the support and sharing.

I look forward to corresponding with all of you.
Rita

Posted by: Rita Martin on 07/19/2011

carol Mcdonald Avatar

Hi all....thanks for all of your notes. I have been on vacation since my son left on 6/27. I got back and had a letter. It wasn't bad , he didn't mention he was homesick or upset he was there, although it was only the first week. He couldn't send it that first week and added later that it all of a sudden got tougher, but he sounded ok. I feel much better than i did . We have so many people writing to him. I live in Charlotte, NC in case anyone else is nearby. We could meet or even meet up at graduation and support eachother and our kids through the remaining days of bootcamp. thanks and God Bless each and everone of you and your loved ones! Carol

Posted by: carol Mcdonald on 07/10/2011

Nancy Mutek Avatar

Hello Carol, my son Lance left for Parris Island on 6/27th from Hamilton, NJ. I gotta tell ya, I couldn't say good-bye! I hugged him, said I love you, be safe, and write as soon as you can. His recruiter pulled up at 5:15 am, and they were out of here by 5:17. I held back the tears until they turned the corner. Ended up taking the day off from work! This has been the longest 2 weeks of my life, with 10 more to go! He never been away from home before, nor has he ever been in an airport. I was so worried - then I just told myself he isn't a little kid, he'll get to where he needs to be (without my help)! Finally, at 2pm he called us from Philly airport, and again at 6:30 pm from Atlanta airport, and I was a little less stressed. The last call was 1:00 am 6/27th saying he arrived safely in Parris Island, but it was a recorded message from him, I didn't get to talk with him. Had I known it was going to be a recording I would have let the answering machine pick up. Then when ever I wanted to hear his voice I could have played the message. So far we only received a letter from his Drill Instructor. I miss him so much.... I just can't wait to get his letter. I never waited for the mailman like I do now. My son is in the 3rd BN, Kilo Co, Platoon 3077. What platoon is your son in?

Posted by: Nancy Mutek on 07/10/2011

carol Mcdonald Avatar

Hi Nancy, My son is in 3rd RTBN Plt 3072 Co. K. Somehow I would think they would all be in the same platoon and company if they all went in on the same day. My son had never been away, either, except for church retreats. He is doing better than i expected t hough. I got one phone call 2 days after he was in....because he said, he "popped" and let out that he was ADD. he had to give them the name of the DR. and date he was diagnosed ( 2nd grade) and he has been off meds for over a year now. He said they were going to do some kind of waiver. I asked him what happened....and he couldn't tell me. So, of course, i was worried. Once i got the first letter, i was fine. He's doing ok...as far as what he is telling me, but asked to write back ASAP!!! Take care, you will hear from him soon.

Posted by: carol Mcdonald on 07/11/2011

Rob Gerowe Avatar

Hang in there! My son arrived same day. We got teh call June 27th at 11:38 pm. Very quick and we coudl nto talk back. Hope to hear from him soon and receive a letter. We have mailed out two letters already to him. Blessings, Rob

Posted by: Rob Gerowe on 07/08/2011

Becky Bush Avatar

My son also went on 6-27 and yes this is a total gut wrenching experience!! Cant wait til graduation!!

Posted by: Becky Bush on 07/06/2011

Nancy Mutek Avatar

Hello Becky, I agree this is extremely stressful. Sept 22nd can't get here soon enough. My son, Lance, left 6/27th, he is in the 3rd BN, Kilo Co, Platoon 3077. What platoon is your son with?

Posted by: Nancy Mutek on 07/10/2011

Becky Bush Avatar

I so understand. My son left for parris Island June 26th and I feel like my hearts been ripped out. Im so proud yet I miss him so badly. Im glad Im not the only one to feel this way.

Posted by: Becky Bush on 07/05/2011

Lora Stokes Avatar

My son left for Parris Island on June 27th. I supported his decision to go into the Corp whole heartedly. I have to say that I miss him quite a bit. It seems weird not having to wait up for him to come home by curfew. It has been kind of quiet. We still have two more kids at home. One will be leaving for college in August and the other one will be a senior in high school this coming up school year. Even though they are still home they are my step-kids so I am not as close to them as I am with my son. My son is a third generation Marine in my family. My dad was a Marine during Viet Nam and my brother was a Marine during Iraq. The three of them had many long talks about the Marines and my brother spoke to my son about what boot camp would be like. I am still waiting for the first letter, but know it will be here soon enough.

Posted by: Lora Stokes on 07/04/2011

carol Mcdonald Avatar

Lora, where do you live? Did your son go in at Parris Island?

Posted by: carol Mcdonald on 07/10/2011

Lora Stokes Avatar

Carol,

My son is at Parris Island. He is in 3rd BN, Kilo Co, PLT 3074. I received the letter from the DI and just received his first letter home. My son's name is Gilbert Stokes. He is doing fine and says things are going well. He wanted me to send him stamps - lol!!! I have found plenty of things to keep busy. I am in graduate school and my summer class has started. I am also in the process of writing a business plan for a business that I want to open up in the Spring when we move to Tennessee. I hope everyone's sons are doing well!!! We currently live in Plant City, FL. We are tired of the heat so we are moving to the mountains in Tennessee. For all the moms that had sons leave on the 27th. Many of the platoons will be fairly large this time of year. Many of the high school graduates leave at this time so the platoons are larger this time of year. My son's platoon has 78 kids in it. Just know that our boys are safe where they are and will do fine!

Posted by: Lora Stokes on 07/11/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

Carol it is a recording and the phone call I received wasnt even of my son. Letting me know that he was there. You will receive a preprinted letter of his address and SDI and graduation date in about 9 days but your son will address the outside of envelope and the first letter in about 12 days. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 07/03/2011

Robin Fortier Avatar

My son also went to Parris Island on June 27th. Letting him go, watching the recruiter drive away with him, was the hardest thing I have had to do! I miss him like crazy, but joyfully received my first letter from him yesterday. It sounds like he is making it, although he admits alot harder than he imagined. Have you heard from your son yet?

Posted by: Robin Fortier on 07/03/2011

carol Mcdonald Avatar

Robin, where do you live? I live in Charlotte, nc and my son also went to Parris Island. Perhaps the boys are in teh same platoon. Mine is in 3072, Co. K.

Posted by: carol Mcdonald on 07/10/2011

Katrina Barnes Avatar

My son left Sunday June 26th for meps then headed to Parris Island the 27th. I can honestly say I was glad to get the call from my son around 9:15 pm letteing me know he was there and ok, but having to hear him yelling at the top of his lungs with a drill instructor behind him yelling at him, I guess encouraging him to be louder because he increased in volume, was very upsetting. I knew the call was coming and his recruiter had told him to tell us to let the machine or voicemail get it so we could replay it to get all the info, but I still ran to the phone and then waited a few minutes before checking the voicemail. I miss him so much and rush to the mailbox everyday even though I know he's too busy to have gotten a letter out yet. I know the recruiters here are great and tell us to call if we have any questions or concerns so everyone remember they are there for you too through all of this. Pray hard and trust in your child and in yourself to make it through this time. Hey, anybody know why they say it's 13 weeks of training but website shows it as being 12??

Posted by: Katrina Barnes on 07/01/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

1st week is PR week, then it shows 12 weeks. So they are there for 13 weeks. In your first letter from the SDI it should have a graduation date. As far as the recruiter, you are absolutely right. My Sons recruiter is awesome. I have talked to him and he makes me feel alot better. Thank God for this website and the Recruiters;)

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 07/07/2011

Bonni Orlasky Avatar

My son also left this week for Parris Island. We didn't get a call at all, because his flight was delayed and he didn't arrive until after midnight. I was supposed to receive his address today from his recruiter, but their system is down, so I won't get it until Tuesday.

Posted by: Bonni Orlasky on 07/01/2011

Angela Heimes Avatar

I too would love to communicate with someone directly that is going through the same thing I am. I'm afraid to write much of anything on here though, because I think that it will be heavily censored. Please feel free to email me directly if you would like a Mom email buddy through this process.

angelaheimes@yahoo.com

Posted by: Angela Heimes on 06/30/2011

lisa lester Avatar

My son went to Parris Island on June 20th and I understand how you feel. It is very HARD...I had no idea just hor hard it would be, but I am so proud of my son.

Hang in there, graduation day will be here before you know it :o)

Posted by: lisa lester on 06/30/2011