christine esposito Avatar

My youngest leaves for Bootcamp in 29 days..July 25th..

Posted By: christine esposito 06-26-11

My youngest son is leaving for Boot Camp Parris Island on July 25th. I have had a whole year to prepare for this (he enlisted in teh DEP last June) but I am starting to feel very anxious now. We had his HS Graduation Party yesterday and I did a life video of him and completely lost it! I feel like I am losing my best frinds. I am so proud of him and happy that he is pursuing his dream, But am going to feel lost without him..I am so afraid of missing that first call! How am I have never gone a day without speaking to my son in 18 1/2 yrs and now I will be separated from him for 13 weeks..

Kristina Petras Avatar

Hello Mothers & Dads, I am awaiting too for my son to leave for Boot Camp at Parris Island, he just got bumped up a week and leaves Sept. 12th. Can someone tell me when and how we are given the address to write letters to him? Thanks in advance and I'm so happy to have found this site, what an incredible outlet for us parents left behind. God Bless all of your sons & daughters who are becoming US Marines!

Posted by: Kristina Petras on 08/10/2011

Cindy Hayden Avatar

Christine & Rosangel,
My son left for PI on July 25th too! I just received the typed letter yesterday and i sent his (12 page) letter out today. Christine ... i feel the same way! I have to keep telling myself this is what he wanted. We had his graduation party on July 2nd and a gathering of close friends & family the 23rd & 24th. We actually drove him to the hotel and stayed in another hotel for the night. We went to see him get sworn in, it took quite a while, so we had some extra time with him. He didn't call us untio Tuesday @ 6am because they had flight delays. I knew what to expect with the phone call, thank god!! I have been journaling, in letter form, and then send it to him. This really helps me. I write him quote and motivational things every day. I'm on this site a lot which also helps. We as moms are not alone. I will cry at teh drop of a hat!! I bought him some snack pack puddings, he didn't eat them before he left so I ws packing them up for a friends kids and then started to cry!!! I'm staying strong for him!! It's so hard, i know. I think about him every minute of every day! I also have a countdown calander in my office, this helps.
What is your son's platoon & Co? My son is Tim , he is LIMA CO, PLT 3085

Posted by: Cindy Hayden on 08/05/2011

christine esposito Avatar

Cindy, thank you ,, I have now gotten a total of 6 letters from Luke. 3 on Saturday and 3 today.
My son is also in Lima Co, PLT 3085! do you have facebook? if so add me there, i look forward to getting to know the other Moms here and the support!
Christine

Posted by: christine esposito on 08/08/2011

rosangel abreu Avatar

Hello Christine..my son leaves on the 25 also..im feeling very anxious,i guess it jst hit me tht he is really leaving...i have no idea how im gona make it without talkng to him :'(

Posted by: rosangel abreu on 07/19/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

Chrisitine there is no way to prepare yourself for this and what you are feeling is natural. you will continue to feel this way. But you have to be strong and support your son he needs you to be strong and back him. You have raised an awesome son. My son left for Parris Island June 20th and I miss him extremely!! It is torture not to be able to talk to him or see him. Stay Strong Be Proud!!!

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 07/01/2011

Sam Shelley Avatar

Hang in there and keep checking this site! It's so great. At one point, we're all in the same boat. When my son goes in, I plan on bawling my eyes out, but then starting to write him as much as possible! From what I hear, its going to be amazing to see the transformation at graduation!

Posted by: Sam Shelley on 07/01/2011

Carol Keen Avatar

Hi Christine,

I could have written this myself. My son also leaves for Parris Island on July 25th, he has been in the DEP since October, and I also have not gone a day that I have not spoken to him in his 19 years. I am so proud that he made this choice, but I also get very anxious because I know just how hard it is going to be on him. I can't image what it will be like not to hear his voice and his laughter for 13 weeks! I just wanted you to know how similar our stories are and for you to know you are not alone in feeling the way you do.

From one soon to be Marine Corps mom to another, I wish you the very best!

Carol

Posted by: Carol Keen on 06/29/2011

Annette Burton Avatar

Hi Christine,
My son left for Parris Island June 20th. He also enlisted in the DEP. I had all of the same feelings before he left. Even though we had been planning on this for almost a year, when the date was quickly approaching, I got more anxious. Even my son said the same thing. He has wanted to be a Marine his whole life, but as his ship date got closer, he said he was excited, but anxious. I would like to tell you that when the date finally came, it was better, but I would not be telling you the truth. When his Dad and I saw him get into the van and drive away, I started crying and cried on and off for the rest of the day. I also cried on and off for the next 3 or 4 days. Don't expect with that first call that you will be able to have a conversation with him. Our call came at about 10:00 P.M. on the 20th. It was very short - scripted. At least there was some comfort knowing he got there safely - we weren't sure the van they took would get them there at all!!! Now we are still waiting on the address so we can write him. I, like you, have never, ever gone for 3 months without talking or seeing one of my children. I think that is the hardest part. This is such a defining moment in their lives and in our lives. Hang in there - Just expect it to be hard - from everything I've read, that is very normal. Thank goodness we have this web site so we can talk with others going through the same thing. He's been there 10 days now. I'm not crying any more, but my heart still feels heavy. The one thing that I feel has helped this last week, is when I get a chance I get on line and look at places to stay for his graduation. I have really been starting to plan - we will have 16 family members with us. That has been fun to anticipate his graduation.
God Speed to your son.

Posted by: Annette Burton on 06/29/2011

Jackie Vaillancourt Avatar

My son left for Parris Island June 26. It was so hard to send him off. It is something he has wanted all through his high school years. He called me the next day to say he was in Charlotte and even posted a message to me on facebook. I got the call from Parris Island at 3am, it wasn't my son, but a recorded message. Now I wait for the first letter so I can write.

Posted by: Jackie Vaillancourt on 06/28/2011