Tammy  Danner Avatar

Left for Parris Island June 20th, 2011

Posted By: Tammy Danner 06-23-11

Wow I miss my son! His family is so proud of him! This is something he has wanted for a long time. Graduated from Northmor High School June 5th and left from Cleveland for Parris Island 6/20/11. Received phone call at 10:38. Now waiting on first letter. Would love to keep in touch with families and other moms for support.

Margaret Smith Avatar

Our son Charlie also started at Parris Island on 6/20/2011. He's in Fox Co. It's so nice to get a letter.In his last letter he gave a a list of things we could send. Did you get it? If not here it is; Individual servings of powdered gatorade, cough drops, vitamin C, envelopes and stamps. He wrote that the mosquitoes, sand fleas and heat and humidity are rough but takes it day by day! We are from Greenville, SC and can't wait for graduation on Sept. 16.

Posted by: Margaret Smith on 07/21/2011

Hilde Henry Avatar

Hello,
My son also started at Paris Island on 6/20/2011 and we got a call at 10:40 very similar to you. Our son is in PLT 2074, 2d. BN Fox Co. We have had 7 letters so far. Can you let me know if you son is in the same platoon. Thanks Hilda

Posted by: Hilde Henry on 07/31/2011

Margaret Smith Avatar

Our son charlie is in Fox Co. PLT 2072. We recieved letters #7 & #8 Sat. July 30. They were marching to their new barracks for grass and rifle weeks. Swim week went well and now they can blouse their trousers and will soon get names on cammies. Charlie says they are so busy that even in free time they have lots of things to do..like fixing gear and studying for tests. He said chapel is great because it's laid back and they get a chance to think. He and platoon lovedthe gatorade, powerbars and cough drops. We are keeping all the young recruits in our hearts daily.

Posted by: Margaret Smith on 08/02/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

Hey mom recruits hope all is well with sons and daughters 31 more days. Still praying for them all
my recruit is in PLT 2075 2ND BN FOX CO. I miss him so much still but we're one day closer!

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 08/15/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

I received letter #3 on Friday the 8th. Much better spirits and seems to be doing really well.
10 more weeks to go!!

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 07/11/2011

Margaret Smith Avatar

I know how you feel about stalking the mailman! It sure is tough to let go and let my son grow up..but I think our boys are making a wonderful contribution to the corps, the country and their futures!

Posted by: Margaret Smith on 07/21/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

Received letter from my son today. Sounds like these first 2 weeks are tough but he was prepared before he left and knew what to expect since he has several friends who went through bootcamp in the last 2 years. The last thing he wrote me was "it will be alright" and I know in my heart it will be. Prayers to my recruit and his platoon.

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 07/06/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

Received 2 letters from my son Tuesday July 5th. I was at work, my husband called and read them to me got me through the rest of my shift. I got home read them and starting crying, my husband said what is wrong? I said I feel like a big part of me is missing, he said look at it this way, he is making up for all the camping trips I wouldnt let him go on without you for 18 years lol! Praying for my recruit and his platoon also.

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 07/07/2011

estela rivera Avatar

Family

Hello all just wanted to let my fellow family members know that i received a letter from my brother yesterday he left for Parris Island on June 20th and he is ok, although he did express how the first week was extremely difficult, but wants us to be happy for him, he also which made my mom and me cry like crazy expressed how this experinece made him realize the love he has for us, and how he took us in general fro granted, but i have to say my brother is the best brother son, uncle, friend in the world and i am beyornd words so proud of him all i do now is pray for him and his fellow platoon brothers and cant wait to see hiim on graduation... he is 2nd bn fox, anyone else in the same bn, we can connect thank you...

Posted by: estela rivera on 07/03/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

My son is in the same Bn. I got his first letter yesterday. Seems to be doing ok. I keep sending him letters of encouragement. I am so proud of him and will continue to pray for him and his platoon also. Keep in touch.

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 07/06/2011

estela rivera Avatar

Family

Hi, my brother left on 6/20/11 for boot camp @ parris island, havent received a letter yet, my mom is besides herself and trying my best to keep it together.. any idea when we should be getting word from him??

Posted by: estela rivera on 06/30/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

I got a typed letter with rules Saturday. It was signed by my son. Nothing else yet.

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 07/05/2011

lisa lester Avatar

Hello. My son left from Nashville TN on June 20th for Parris Island. I got the call close to midnight that he had arrived. Been checking the mail every day, but nothing yet. I have written him 11 letters, one for each day he's been gone. I called the recruiter and he gave me the address so I hope my letters are making it to him even if I have not received his.

This is so hard. He's my only child and the two of us were alone for about 10 of his 18 years. I miss him so much, but am very proud of his decision.

His graduation is set for Sept. 16th, unless something happens that holds him back, so hopefully we can share this experience from beginning to end and support each other along the way.

Everyone hang in there...this is one of the hardest things as parents we will ever go through but on graduation day we can all stand proud and know that we each had a huge part in making a Marine!

Posted by: lisa lester on 06/30/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

I received the first letter today!!!!! Oh my gosh you would have thought I won a million dollars to me it was worth way more than that. My husband his Dad has been great he truly understands how I feel. Now tomorrow I have to go back to that dreaded place of work that truly doesnt understand, but I have to stay strong and fight through it just like our sons and daughters are doing. Semper Fi and I am really glad I found this website. THX GUYS!!!!

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 06/28/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

I feel like I am stalking the mail man. Still no mail, but I did get his address Monday from his recruiter. I have wrote him 2 letters but asked him if I should write everyday because I dont want him to get in trouble. Stay strong! We can do it!

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 06/29/2011

Lu Ann  Long Avatar

Oh my Gosh , Do I understand what you Mean !! My son left on June 20th as well . I am so Proud of him for making this decision for his life but it has been hard . We are from WV and had the Priviledge of
taking him and another boy from our Recruiting station to Pittsburgh on the 19th (we had to leave them at the hotel so they could go to Meps the Morning of the 20th to fly out ) . It was a hard trip both ways but I wouldn't have traded it for the world . By the time we arrived back home on Monday I was only home about 5 hours until that withheld # came up on my cell phone . Right around 10:30 pm . So now we are anxiously checking the mail everyday waiting for that first letter . He is my youngest of 3 and the only boy , so this was really hard to have high school graduation and then send him off 28 days later . So I do know how all the other moms are feeling . It's great that they have a site like this so families can be there for each other and know that they are not alone in what they are going through and feeling . It's been a week so we are officially on count down to Family day and Graduation !! I'm sure it's going to go quick . So , Hang in there and Keep the Happy Thoughts Flowing it will be September before we know it !!

Posted by: Lu Ann Long on 06/27/2011

Wendy Burch Avatar

Hi Tammy my son also left for Parris Island June 20th. He graduated from High school on June 11th. This is awful I miss him so much. I am glad I found this website. Because no one else really understands. Hope we can share this journey.

Posted by: Wendy Burch on 06/27/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

This website is great. Keep in touch and I will let you know when I get mail!

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 06/29/2011

carol Mcdonald Avatar

My son left today for Parris Island. His dad rec'd the one phone call, but wasn't able to get to the phone, and there was no message, only that a call had come from a restricted number. Would love to keep in touch with other moms going through the same thing. Only mom's know how tough it is to let their son go into the marines.. People at work....they don't understand....I don't get it.

Posted by: carol Mcdonald on 06/27/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

Hang in there. Be strong and proud for your son. And it is ok to cry. Makes me feel better sometimes.

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 06/29/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

Call his recruiter. Should have and address and that way you can at least write him a letter. Just remember to stay positive and strong for him.

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 06/29/2011

DEBORAH PHILLIPS Avatar

My son left yesterdy for MCRD @ Camp Pendleton. I am so glad I found your post.

I wondered the same thing. Why was I having (why am I having) such a hard time dealing with this? My son was in the DEP for almost 2 years. I have had months to talk to and get to know the recruiters, to ask questions, to research, everything. Yet, yesterday, en roue to the RSS to drop him off, I completey lost it....The day just got worse from there. I was a basket case. Got on the treadmill figuring that would help take my mind off of it. No help. I just found out that when you are running on a treadmill through a wall of tears, you better hang on tight!!

Today, it has been easier but only because I got lost in my work for a little while. But every time I think about him or speak about him, the dull ache returns and I just want to cry. I know how you feel and would love to talk back and forth with you as our sons make their way through bootcamp......I guess I just miss my little boy.... : (

Posted by: DEBORAH PHILLIPS on 06/27/2011

Tammy  Danner Avatar

Stay busy. And it is ok to cry. Makes me feel better. And remember how bad he wants this and how proud you are to have raised such a determined son!

Posted by: Tammy Danner on 06/29/2011