Robert Leeper Avatar

Our journey begins

Posted By: Robert Leeper 06-14-11

Our son arrived in San Diego to begin his 13 weeks of boot camp, just yesterday (6/13). He had been preparing for this day since last August, when his mother and I agreed to sign for his delayed entry. From that day, he began to prepare his body and his mind for the challenges he is just now undertaking. I have been amazed, blown away and am so very proud of the man he has grown into these last 10 months. I would love to connect with anyone else whose son may be in the same group.

Ronni Schweyen Avatar

My son, Zach, arrived the same day. When we get an address we will have to see if they are together or not. I am not sure how they are put into platoons. I feel the same way about my son, it makes me extremely proud to introduce him as "my son". Can't wait for Sep 9th!

Posted by: Ronni Schweyen on 06/22/2011

Haylee Lynn Peterson Avatar

Hi,

My fiance left on 6/13 and maybe they met up :) I am very proud of my fiance and like your son he is doing something amazing and with our support they will get through this tough period in their lives. I cannot wait to get his first letter. Hope all is well and stay safe :)

Posted by: Haylee Lynn Peterson on 06/19/2011

Diana  Thompson Avatar

My son joined at the same time your son did. He started the delayed entry program also in August and left for bootcamp on June 13 but he is at Parris Island instead of San Diego. We are very proud of him and I can't believe we raised our son to become something as great as a United States Marine. I am very proud of every young man who takes this huge step in their life to become a Marine.

Posted by: Diana Thompson on 06/19/2011

Jeanne McAuliffe Avatar

Sounds a lot like my son, who also began boot camp on 6/13. He was sworn in last June into the delayed entry program. He too was preparing for boot camp. It was the first time I had ever seen him so excited about anything in my life. Knowing he is as prepared as he could be helps me a lot.

Posted by: Jeanne McAuliffe on 06/17/2011

Barbara Wright Avatar

Robert, my son left for San Diego Monday also. I was so unprepared for that phone call and all the chaos. Can't wait to get his first letter. Where is your son from? We are in Lancaster, CA.

Posted by: Barbara Wright on 06/16/2011

Jeanne McAuliffe Avatar

My son also left for San Diego on Monday. Thankfully I was prepared for the phone call. I would have been devestated if I hadn't been.

Posted by: Jeanne McAuliffe on 06/17/2011

Kathleen Walker Avatar

Hello from Anchorage, Alaska! Our son left to MCRD San Diego one week before yours did, he also was DEP'd in for almost a year. He turned 18 two weeks before he left. I'm just waiting for his first letter so I can start sending him letters. I was lucky because he was able to call me the day after he got there.

Posted by: Kathleen Walker on 06/16/2011