Rachel Finnicum Avatar

Marine Wife's Life

Posted By: Rachel Finnicum 03-10-11

The Marine Corps Birthday Ball this Past Year

Our Daughter Just After She Was Born

Our Son, the Pooch, and Our Daughter

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. We have two children and a doberman. He has been enlisted for 14 years. We were in the middle of recruiting duty when he got picked up for the MECEP program. Now he is finishing up his degree at the University of Minnesota (still on active duty) and will be commissioned as a 2nd LT May 2012.

It has been a very long past 4 years for me. Our son was four months old when we started recruiting duty. Recruiting Duty is the hardest assignment I think a Marine can get. (I would rather a deployment any day of the week!) You don't see them very often and pretty much live life as a single parent. Thank God he was accepted to the MECEP Program! I still don't see him very much as he is only home on the weekends and has been gone most of the last two summers. The first summer was MECEP prep in Quantico and last summer it was OCS in Quantico. My family lives 10 hours away so seeing them is not a regular thing.

I have a few good friends here who are Marine wives. It's nice to have them because they understand what it's like to be in my shoes. Marines tend to become your family members when you are away from home. They truly are some of the best people in the world. To make it as a Marine wife you have to have a very strong marriage, be independent, and be very supportive of your husband.

I love this life and wouldn't trade it for the world!

gretchen  freudenvoll Avatar

Other

I am currently dating a Marine 16mos Who is at Quantico right now, I am very serious about him , It has been hard dealing with him gone. But i dii find Marines Around the area to help me getthrough things and When they say Marine are a family "Very true.". I am still learning about Marine Life and trying to be strong and I stand behind Him 200% as he does for me..He is hoping to get base housing. but while he is gone i have found things that can be done around the house, willhave done before he gets home ( smile) family and freinds been helping .. i am learning to keep your head up and smile and just wait for the phone call when he has leave time..

Posted by: gretchen freudenvoll on 10/31/2012

Katherine Strickland Avatar

Friend

I am currently dating a Marine. I am very serious about him as I hope he is me. He is deployed at the moment and I am having a hard time with it. Can someone tell me how to cope with his absence? We don't get to communicate much as I'm sure many of you already know. Any advice would be helpful.

Posted by: Katherine Strickland on 08/01/2012

mimi sandlin Avatar

Other

I am a wife and a mother of two. They are only 4 and 5. My husband isn't in the marines yet but I am doing research on the life you live while they are gone. I am terrified and he hasn't even spoken to a recruiter yet. He is actually wanting to join the reserves. My question is what is the difference exactly? What are the chances of him being deployed? How does this exactly work? And how do you explain to your babies about this big life change and daddy may be leaving for long periods of time. I'm scared. We have been together for 8 yrs. And have been married for almost 6 of those. I am very supportive of my husband and everything he wants. But this is different a whole new life style and not knowing when And If he is leaving and when he will be home with us is the least of my worries but part of them too. If you can help me understand the pros and cons I would be so appreciative. Thank you for your time And thank you all for protecting our country protecting my children and us as well. Love you for that.

Posted by: mimi sandlin on 05/09/2012

Samantha  Shattuck  Avatar

Hey! Thank you for sharing your story. It has encouraged me greatly! I think that it is so awesome that you have a good support system. I am just beginning my life as a marine wife. My husband went to boot last week. We have a 6 month old and it is going to be a long year for us. For after his training, he has Infantry training (like everyone else) then he goes off to VA for 10 months for his MOS training. I will not be able to live with him there either. i may be able to see him on weekends once he earns them though. I loved reading your story. You seem like a very strong, supportive wife which i admire. I am not super independent, our marriage is very strong; however, i hope to become very independent for it will make life a lot easier!! if you have any wisdom or advice i'd love to hear it!! Thanks again!!

Sammy

Posted by: Samantha Shattuck on 05/08/2012

AJ Woods Avatar

Current Marine

Ms Finnicum,

I am currently an active duty officer with 17 years, and previously 8 years enlisted… I'm on my 3rd tour in recruiting. I want to tell you that it's worth it… the Marine Corps life is tough, but having a supportive family makes the difference, and since you have been through deployments and recruiting duty, you have seen the worst of it. Make sure to make time for each other, and share in his experiences, and he should share in yours… even if you don't think they are as exciting as his… I can tell you they are… it keeps you connected as a family. Good luck, and you have a bright future ahead! Semper Fi and God Bless!

Art Woods

Posted by: AJ Woods on 05/06/2011

John Hays Avatar

Supporter

Good luck to you and thanks to both of you for your courage and sacrifice made on behalf of our freedom.

Posted by: John Hays on 05/06/2011

Kelse  Budden Avatar

Other

What advice would you give to someone who is about to become a Marine's wife?

Posted by: Kelse Budden on 05/06/2011

Tashema Haynes  Avatar

Congrats to you and your Marine. My husband just completed TBS and I just say it was a long road but just like you, I wouldn't trade it for anything. You can follow my blog "A Marine's Wife" on blogspot com blessings!

Posted by: Tashema Haynes on 05/06/2011

Community Manager Avatar

COMMUNITY MANAGER

Rachel-
The Marine Corps wishes all Marine spouses a Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day, and acknowledges the support you give and the sacrifices you make. We've linked to your story from the Marine Corps Facebook page.

-LifeAsAMarine Community Manager