Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

A Family Tradition

Posted By: Maurice "MOE" Duran 01-06-11

On November 18, 1985, I stepped on the yellow footprints at Parris Island and began my life as a Marine. I served in the Corps for six years on active duty and two as a reserve. With all that the Corps instilled in me, I now serve my community as a police officer. On January 10, 2011, my oldest son will step on the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego. Although it hurts to see him leave, I trust that the Corps will take care of him and make him a better man. I cannot wait until my son earns his right to be called a United States Marine! Semper Fi and Stay Safe.

Jeff Neely Avatar

Former Marine

Enjoy graduation and congratulations to your son for becoming one of the family. I am sure it will be as great an experience for you as it was for me. You are right, my son is at Camp Del Mar. His school starts about April 20th so right now he is having fun pulling working parties and the like. Let me know how graduation goes and enjoy the 10 days of leave with your son.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 04/01/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Moe,
Wanted to check in and see how your son was doing at MCRD San Diego. He should be about 3 weeks away from graduation if my math is right. I hope he is doing well. I thought about you and your son today as I am at Camp Geiger for my sons graduation from Marine Combat Training and learned he had to fly to San Diego today then head up to Camp Pendleton for MOS School. He ended up going into AAV's which was a bit of a surprise but he is good with it.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 03/22/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Jeff,
I am glad to hear that all is going good with your son. Your calculations are correct and my son will be graduating in about 13 days from today. I am so very excited to see him graduate. I am sure that your son will have at AAV school. Last I remember the school was at Camp Del Mar which is also set up for camping and has has a pretty good E-Club. Not to mention he will be close to Oceanside. Andrew will be going to Camp Pendleton after graduation for MCT then VA for Intel School. I will let you know how the graduation went. Thank for keeping in touch. Semper Fi,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 03/25/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Moe,
The graduation was a great experience. For Family Day (due to weather) they marched the platoons into the all weather training facility (bldg not there in 1981). Had 4 hours together on base liberty. Saw his barracks, a few sites on base etc. Graduation was the event you would expect from the Corps. Precision. They rehearsed for a number of hours and it was snap and pop everywhere. The Parris Island Marine Band was fantastic too. The Island has changed a bunch. All the old WWII white wooden barracks are gone. The receiving area is a new, very nice building. New indoor pool, new church.chapel, There is a Subway and Backyard Burgers (and a few other eateries) on the Island etc. I took the tip over to 1st Bn where I went through and assumed the position of attention where we fell out every day. I could almost hear the screaming in my head.

I did see one former Marine in dress blues. He was an older gentleman (mid to late 60's) with Sgt stripes. Either he was the oldest Sgt in the history of the Corps or he was a former Marine in his blues. I did see an army and navy gent in their respective uniforms both appeared to be retired. I don't think it is out of line to do so as long as you have a regulation hair cut and the uniform is tailored to standards etc. My son is home for 10 days so we are trying to enjoy them and he is trying to decompress a bit. I am glad to hear your son is doing well and into Phase II. It does seem to go quickly in some ways and to be an eternity in others. You could likely check with the recruiter to see what protocol is on wearing your blues to the graduation.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 02/15/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Jeff,
Once again, congratulations on your son's graduation. I am happy that you got a chance to relive some of your memories. My son will be graduating from MCRD San Diego so I wont be able to do the same but its all good none the less. The time is flying by quickly. I can't wait till my son graduates. I hope you are enjoying your son's leave. Please feel free to stay in touch. I don't know if you have a facebook account but if you do and would like to friend request me. Take care and Semper Fi ~

Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 02/17/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Jeff,

Congratulations on your son's great accomplishment. I am so happy for you and your family. It seems like only yesterday that we first shared our stories with each other. My son is getting ready to begin second phase and the time is flying by quickly. His letters are positive and he seems to be doing well. He is very proud of what he has already accomplished and is waiting for the next challenge. I can't wait for him to earn his EGA, because as you know, that is the ultimate boot camp accomplishment. All the rest is icing on the cake. Please let me know how your graduation experience went. Several of my former Marine partners and I have been discussing whether to wear our dress blues to his graduation. I think he would certainly appreciate the gesture but I am not sure that it is an acceptable practice for non-active personnel. Let me know if you see any other former Marine parents wearing their uniforms.

Once again, thanks for lending an ear. Semper Fi my friend,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 02/09/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Moe,

Yes, we are very close. We are leaving tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday) for the drive up to Parris Island. Family day Thursday and graduation on Friday, February 11th. It seems like it took forever to get here but in other ways it went incredibly fast. He was able to call on Sunday. They got a few hours of base liberty as they finished the crucuble on Saturday morning. He got a gash in his leg that became infected but he finished and is being treated with antibitoics now. My youngest is 11 and he is pretty excited about seeing his big brother. Sounds like your sons decision to join has been very positive for your family. There is nothing you can do about homesick. I think my son wrote that in almost every letter until some time in phase III when I think he finally realized he was getting close to the finish. I will let you know how graduation goes once we are back. Your son must be doing pretty well if he is the scribe. Normally the DI's pick someone they think will be there for the duration, which I am confident he will. 4 weeks, phase 1 is pretty much done. Keep the faith, Semper Fi Moe.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 02/08/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Jeff,
By my calculations you should be getting ready to go to your son's graduation. I know you can't wait and I'm excited for you. My son just started his fourth week so he's about a third of the way done. We have received some mail from Andrew and he is doing well. He is the Scribe for now. The rest of the family is handling this in a much better manner so thing are progressing. My younger son, Gabriel, is 12 and has been talking about joining the Corps when he turns 18. My father in law was in the Navy and doesn't like the idea that much but is happy to see him display a sense of patriotism. My daughter Jessica is going to turn 18 the week after Andrew graduates and has been considering the military as well. Not sure if she's cut out for the Corps but I would sure love it if she made it. Hope to hear about your son's graduation soon.

Semper Fi,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 02/01/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Dear Claire,
Things seem to be going well. We have received several letters and he sounds okay. He is the Scribe for now. He did mention that he is very homesick, which I warned him about in the beginning but now that he's beginning his fourth week, I think things will get better. Once again thank you for the support that you give to the Marine Corps community.

Semper Fi,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 02/01/2011

"Country Claire" Christison Avatar

Supporter

Dear Moe,
I must return your thank you back to you.... :) How are things going for your son? How many letters have you received? This past Wednesday I was at Warrior Training and another gift came through the door... a New Marine... although I see so many Poolee's go our that door... irrespective of how many New Marines return through that door.. it is still VERY special each and every time. (it's like my own personal 'graduation' moment) I sure hope things are going well for your son... and I do sincerely appreciate, not only your service... but for the future service of your son...

Wishing you the very best now & always...
Country Claire

Posted by: "Country Claire" Christison on 01/29/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Moe,

He will be going into field artillery as his MOS. I think they still go to Fort Sill Oklahoma for that school. He does go to Camp Gieger first for the advance infantry training. I don't know if you are aware but you can go the MCRD Parris Island web site and get a copy of the training schedule which give you the day by day big events and shows you where they are in each phase etc. My youngest son uses it as his countdown sheet until he can see his big brother again too. His letters home are changing a bit too. He sounds more mature and confident that he did in his earlier letters. We are only 3 weeks away from graduation. It has been incredibly fast and the longest time, a bit of a paradox but that is how it seems. Hope your son is doing well.

Semper Fi

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 01/22/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Claire,
I would like to thank you for all your support. Although my family is better prepared for what my son is going through, I know there are many families that are not. Your support is essential for in helping these families adjust to the Corps way of life. Yes my son is in 1st Phase. Just barely beginning his training. I know he will do well ad will feel so good on graduation day. Once again thanks, and hope to stay in touch.

Semper Fi,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 01/18/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Hey Jeff,
I am happy to hear your son qualified Expert on the range. I remember that after the range, everything goes real fast. I was telling my wife that everyday when I'm at work I look at the clock and try to imagine what my son is doing. I received a quick call from him last Friday morning. Turns out he needed me to send some documents for his service package. It was a very brief and impersonal call but I could tell by the sound of his voice that he is good. Incidentally that was also "Black Friday" and was going to be assigned to his training platoon. We are still waiting for his first letter and are expecting it any day now. Less than 30 days sounds good! Then all the real fun begins! Does he know his MOS or where he will be stationed?
Semper Fi,
Moe

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 01/18/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Former Marine

Received a letter yesterday, last Friday he qualified on the rifle range and shot expert. He was pretty pumped about it, as he should have been. He was concerned about how well he would do on the range. He can check that one off now. He starts Phase III Monday. Less than 30 days to graduation. The call was unusual. I remember making it 30 years ago but had forgotten how crazy it must have sounded. I answered the phone and he was screaming in the handset with all kinds of other screaming going on in the background and them slam, it went dead. I'm glad my wife didn't answer the phone on that one, she would not have been too happy. I am sure your son will do very well, they learned a lot more from us about the Corps than we will likely ever know. Semper Fi.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 01/13/2011

"Country Claire" Christison Avatar

Supporter

Dear Moe,
Thank You for your service! It's the 11th of January, so your son is still in first phase... how exciting. I am a Marine4Life Mentor and have volunteered with the Marines. You know better than myself what your son will endure and how much he will love everything he experiences. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your service and I also appreciate the fact that your son is carrying on the tradition. I wish you both well!
Country Claire

Posted by: "Country Claire" Christison on 01/11/2011

Maurice "MOE" Duran Avatar

Jeff,
Thanks for the post. You are so right when you described how we view what our sons are going through. Ironically, I now understand what my mother went through when I left. I have to admit that it was very hard for me watching him clean up and get his things in order before leaving. Especially when my wife and other kids broke down. I guess it finally dawned on us how much he is going to change because of this. My family and I went to MEPS to watch Andrew swear in and we were so proud of him. At about 2100 hrs (9pm) my wife received his call from MCRD. She could hear the yelling in the background and she could not help but to smile knowing that the transformation had begun. I am happy that your son is doing well and progressing through second phase. I can't wait for Andrew's letters and hearing about his experiences. I hope to hear more as your son progresses through boot camp.
Semper Fi my friend.

Posted by: Maurice "MOE" Duran on 01/11/2011

Jeff Neely Avatar

Moe,

I have a similar story. I joined the Marines on September 21, 1981. My oldest son (who graduted from high school in June of 2010) left for Parris Island on November 15, 2010. He is almost done with Phase 2 now. We have received a number of letters since he arrived at Parris Island (which is where I went to boot camp too). He is doing well and is adapting to the lifestyle change and is tackling the training head on. It is an odd thing to relive the experience as he is going through it. You remember the training, the thrashings, the commaraderie, the discipline and the thousand of other things happening over those three months. Best of luck to your son as he departs next week. Semper Fidelis.

Posted by: Jeff Neely on 01/08/2011