Marissa worrix Avatar

Other

Question - What to Write

Posted By: Marissa worrix 01-04-11

I have no clue what to write in my letters. So many things are flying around in my head. He has not left yet but , I am trying to figure out what I am going to say. Will I know what to say when he is actually there? All I can think of is to say hi, and write that in big bold letters.

Maria Galaviz Avatar

Dear Marissa Worrix,

I am a Proud Mirine Mom myself and i was the same way, didn't know what to write, but when i received the first letter i jumped and cry of joy. and i had alot to write back to him, one suggestion is to always write positive stuff tell him you love him and let him know how proud you are of him support him 100% let him know he is your HERO!!!

Posted by: Maria Galaviz on 06/21/2011

Cathryn Chase Avatar

Marissa, write about things that are going on the world that he might like to know about. They don't get news of any sort. Tell him about what's going on at home too. I always sent funny news stories and jokes he could share with the others in his platoon. Make sure you tell him how proud you are of him!

Posted by: Cathryn Chase on 01/19/2011

Lyn  Jones Avatar

My son is a Marine. He graduated last May from Parris Island. I waited for that first letter. The first thing my son said to me in that letter was "Mom this place is amazing!" "i can't wait for you to see this place" My letter to him told him how proud we were of him. I can't remember much from that first letter. But i can tell you i never received 1 letter in which he regretted his decision. Instead i received letters that said " Mom i love you and thank you" "Mom i know i haven't exactly been an easy person to live with and I'm sorry." Each time i got one i cried and looking back on each letter today i still cry! Enjoy those first letters. Always remain positive and keep all negative thoughts to yourself. Good Luck!

Posted by: Lyn Jones on 01/19/2011

Marissa worrix Avatar

Other

Thanks

Posted by: Marissa worrix on 01/18/2011

gardenia burton Avatar

does anyone know how long it will take to get first letter? my son left on January 10, 2011. I miss him so much and really need to hear from him.

Posted by: gardenia burton on 01/17/2011

"Country Claire" Christison Avatar

Supporter

Letters are so very important... especially in today's world, when text and email have dramatically reduced the amount of paper letters. Keep things positive... irrespective of what may be going on at home.. keep it positive. He will have no time in his day to worry ... Getting a letter means a great deal... Continue to be supportive in his decision and let him know how proud you are.

I hope this helps....

Country Claire

Posted by: "Country Claire" Christison on 01/11/2011

Marissa worrix Avatar

Other

Thank you everyone !! All of you have helped me a lot.

Posted by: Marissa worrix on 01/07/2011

Alicia Baumer Avatar

Other

Marissa,
Yes you will have no problem knowing what to say. My boyfriend left for boot camp on Dec. 12. I was worried that I'd run out of things to write about. I still haven't lol. In my letters I ask him how he's doing, what are his days like, etc. Then I'll tell him how my day was and what I did. His favorite NFL team is the Tennessee TItans. So when he left and they still had games going on, I'd keep him updated on how they were doing. And just other little things that came to mind. I hope I was some help to you. If you need anything else or just want to talk, feel free to message me.
Sincerely,
Alicia Baumer

Posted by: Alicia Baumer on 01/06/2011

Marlyn  Ramirez Avatar

I had the same question, but decided to let my son know what goes on here at home. I think they like to hear about what we are doing. Not that he is missing a lot here, but when he comes back, he will know he did not missed much, and accomplished a lot instead. I try to keep letters short. I also tell him how proud I am of him and that I support him 100%. I still have not received a handwritten letter from him. It is disappointing not finding anything from him in the mailbox; however, I will continue to write to him to let him know that we think of him everyday and that we love him.

Posted by: Marlyn Ramirez on 01/06/2011

Lynda Torres Avatar

You will know what to write when the time comes....tell him about the positive things back home, tell him how proud you are of him, how you feel in a positive way. The letters from home really help them through, my son told me the letters from home that family and friend sent him gave him extra motivation to make it through boot camp. You can share your weather and funny stories of what is happening back home. Send comic strips, motivational letters, ask how is his weather, meet any new friends, his thoughts and feelings about his journey there. Don't get upset or frustrated if his letters are short or vague...they get extremely busy in the beginning learning all they have to learn. When he does write-read his letters and you will find the right things to write back about based on what he shares. I felt that way and I sometimes would tell my son the same thing in several letters but he never wrote that back to me, because it was letter home and he knew I was supporting him and sending love. He actually got so much mail from people at my job that he could not read it all while at boot camp. You may write and ask him questions and he might not answer all of them-try to understand he has security rules to follow-plan your trip to his family day and graduation through the letters. Most importantly- be positive, supportive, motivated and honest-your letters can make or break his spirit there-so keep it positive!

Posted by: Lynda Torres on 01/06/2011