Maureen Morris Avatar

Son in DEP

Posted By: Maureen Morris 12-28-10

My 17 yr old is in the DEP and is scheduled to leave for Parris Island in Sept (2011). I'm a bit nervous for him but mostly excited. He has talked about being in the military since 6th grade. This has been the only consistant thing that excited him.
I am so proud of him and of all of the troops!

(I just wanted to find a place to touch base with other Marine families)

Maureen - Rhode Island

Vel Parsons Avatar

My son leaves for Parris Island on Sept. 12th from Cleveland. Vel

Posted by: Vel Parsons on 09/02/2011

Kathleen Walker Avatar

Keep praising him and ask questions. My son's recruiter was prob sick of me calling all the time, but if he was, he never said. He was patient and understanding.
My boy was DEP'd in for almost a year before he was shipped out. He just left for MCRD San Diego on June 6th.

Posted by: Kathleen Walker on 06/16/2011

jill nelson Avatar

Family

Finally heard from Adam. He is using his free time constructively, as they do not have a lot, so I do not expect many letters. I am steadily planning (and am excited) to be attending the family day and Graduation in the end of February. I know that it could not possibly be passing any slower for anyone but Adam. I MISS HIM SO-O-O much! I cannot wait to see him. He is an AWESOME young man!

Posted by: jill nelson on 01/31/2011

"Country Claire" Christison Avatar

Supporter

Dear Maureen,
I commend your son for his decision and for you in your support. I work with a lot of young people in DEP here in Minnesota... and I love to watch the transition that the DEP provides... then they go and 13 weeks later return as Marines. I find it absolutely commendable that many young people are still raising their hand to take the oath to serve our Country. One of the things that I notice with my kids here in the DEP is how much their parent's support or lack thereof affect the kid's minds. Thank you for being so excited and Thank You for being so supportive.I was unable to serve in the Marines; however I've spent the last 22 years supporting Marines and their families. I sincerely hope that your son knows how many strangers appreciate his decision.

Thank You, Maureen... there are lots of Marine support avenues for you and for your son... to name a few: Blue Star Mothers of America, Marine Corps League, Marine4Life, this website and so many more. Wishing you all the best... and please let your son know.. his decision is appreciated!

Country Claire, Minneapolis, MN

Posted by: "Country Claire" Christison on 01/11/2011

Sandra Burns Avatar

Lynda is right. He needs a lot of support!
Maureen, the way you describe your son sounds a lot like the way my daughter was. She practiced and competed in gymnastics and that requires a lot of discipline, determination and concentration. She is very smart and I was always wondering why she just doesn't try to her best in school. She was not a bad student, she was an honor role student once, but I always thought she was wasting her talents and intelligence. Now I understand that our kids are not always what we think, and if your son is very physical then the Marine Corps is the right place for him. Laura, my daughter loves physical challenges, specially if has something to do with beating boys' scores haha...
Like I said before, the mental part is what break them a little, something I never thought was going to happen to Laura, considering that I've been always very strict and I thought that was going to help, but one thing is to be at home and other in boot camp. Anyways, being mentally strong as he is, it's a plus and everything will be easier.
Maureen, in case we don't communicate again and I don't know if somebody has told you this, but make sure he takes stamps. I didn't know my daughter was going to need them. Some of the girls were very nice and gave them some, but I thought that if I knew it she could put at least a few in her wallet while I sent more. I always mention it in case the parents don't know. Another thing, is that even though i know you will be sending letters to your son as soon as you get the address, he won't get any letters approximately during the first 3 weeks. I was frustrated and sad when I got letters from my daughter asking me to write, when I had the letter ready even before she sent me the address. I wanted to be able to call and say I sent them!. So, let your son know that way he knows that the first weeks he won't be getting your letters, but they will get to him eventually. After the first weeks it takes only 2 or 3 days for you to get his letters and about 4 for him to get yours. I hope this helps. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Posted by: Sandra Burns on 01/07/2011

Maureen Morris Avatar

Thank you Jill and Sandra! We are extremely proud of Dylan. We often wondered what he would go on to do because he is not a "school" kid. He is very physical and mentally sharp but doesn't have the discipline to stay on task in regards to school. When he started talking about the military, I cringed. He was, after all, only in 6th grade! But as time has gone by and his interest has only grown, I no longer cringe. Sometimes I feel that he was meant for military service. Not only does he want to serve his country but I believe he will only benefit from the discipline and confidence it provides.
He meets with his recruiter once or twice a week and talks to him everyday. I have to say, even though it's his job, his recruiter has been wonderful! He attends "pool" on Saturdays with all the other DEPs and he is on his pull up bar everyday.

Jill: Adam will be done before you know it! Feb 25th is just around the corner. I wish him all the best! It sounds as though he really wants this. Hopefully, he will decide to further his education somewhere down the road. I think my son, Dylan, will be graduating the week before Christmas but I'm unsure. It would be tough to not have him home at Christmas. That must have been tough for you! But, look, you DID IT!! :)

Thank you both for the advice! I'll take every bit I can.

Posted by: Maureen Morris on 01/06/2011

Lynda Torres Avatar

The best advice is to give your son 110% of your support and love...My son is graduating from his MOS schooling this month and he will need to know that you support not just him but his decision to be a US Marine. Talk to him about his feelings and attend the family functions while he is in the DEP...you will meet the recruiters, the command and other parents feeling what you are feeling-out to this you will make new friends and find the first step in being part of the BEST family support available for life. He will learn "Once a Marine Always a Marine, a title that is earned and once he receives that title no one will ever take it from him.

Posted by: Lynda Torres on 01/06/2011

Sandra Burns Avatar

DEP is the best for the ones thinking to join. Make sure your son attends to PT at least 3 times a week to get at least physically prepared. That will make his life a little easier, even though no body is really mentally prepared for boot camp, but at least if he is physically fit, he will have to deal only with one thing, the mental part. My daughter got in DEP and that helped her a lot!

Posted by: Sandra Burns on 01/05/2011

Sandra Burns Avatar

No musical letters, no food either. Even though I've read stories about parents contacting the senior drill instructors and they have authorized to send cereal bars and Gatorade. But I really don't know how some recruits can get that and other can't. My daughter told me that her friends sent musical cards sometimes, and when the SDI asked her to open it, she had to get smart and only hang it up side down holding it from the corners to prevent the music from going off.

Posted by: Sandra Burns on 01/05/2011

jill nelson Avatar

Family

Dear Maureen:
My name is Jill Nelson and I am a teacher from MS, who is currently attempting graduate studies at Mississippi State University. My 18 year old son, Adam, enrolled in the DEP for the Marines in August and changed his mind. He called me in November after starting college in a local community college, and told me he had decided to reenlist in the reserves. I have to admit I was hoping he would go on and finish college first, but I had to respect and support his decision for his own life. He was supposed to leave for basic training in January, but ended up going in December and missing Christmas with the family. He told me he could not sleep thinking about it, and wanted to carry on the tradition as his father, grandfather and great grandfather had done in service to their country. I recently received his first letter. He said it was harder than he thought, (and he is a fitness major in college),but he seemed to be enjoying it for the most part, and is his squad leader. I try to write him at least once a week, (his girlfriend writes everyday I think, hahaha). He is a very determined young man, and knew he would not be happy until he did what he wanted to. A Marine friend has given me good advice about not sending care packages and such for basic, as they do not allow them to have anything not Marine issue. They can only have letters they can hold and read. It has saved me embarrassing myself, and bringing any additional reprimand on him either. I am happy to see that other moms are as proud of their sons as I am. I wish you the best of luck and My husband and I are anxiously awaiting Adam's graduation on February 25, 2011. Who knows, we may meet some day!

Posted by: jill nelson on 01/04/2011