Melissa Logsdon Avatar

My son left for boot camp 11/15/2010

Posted By: Melissa Logsdon 11-17-10

My son left for boot camp 11/15/2010 and I already miss him dreadfully. I kept my cell phone with me every moment and finally got "the call" from him on 11/15 @ 10:37 p.m. CST. It lasted all of 12 seconds and I couldn't get a word in edge wise. But I was so happy just to hear his voice. He is in San Diego and they are 2 hours behind us. I watch the clock - always wondering what he's doing. I can't wait for that first letter / postcard from him and, of course, February 2011 can't get here soon enough! I appreciate all of the other stories / posts; they are / will be very helpful to me in getting through this time of very mixed emotions, sadness, happiness, etc. I know it is the best decision he made for his life and I could never be more proud of him.

LISA NIX Avatar

My son left also on the 15 Nov 2010. Parris Island SC.
The holidays are very hard and i have shed many of tears, but we have a lot of support from family , friends and help from God. We are very proud of him and support him 100%. I have received several letters from him, so uplifting and so not. I try to encourage him by sending bible verses and inspirational quotes. We are anxiously waiting graduation

Posted by: LISA NIX on 12/30/2010

Norb Logsdon, Jr. Avatar

Ms. Logsdon,
Both my sons went to boot camp in San Diego almost 5 years ago. They graduated April 7, 2006 and just recently re-enlisted. I served 22 years in Corps myself. I retired when they had just completed the 3rd grade. I can't describe the feeling of pride I had when my only children became Marines! I have a sticker on my truck that I got from Sgt Grit (grunt.com) that says "Like father, like sons United States Marines". Maybe it's the Marine in me, or maybe it's my family name, but I can tell you I welcome you and your son to the family of the Corps!
Norb Logsdon
Gunnery Sergeant, USMC retired
If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me

Posted by: Norb Logsdon, Jr. on 12/21/2010

Maria Cook Avatar

Hi Melissa, My son also left on 11/15/2010 but he is at Parris Island, SC. I know exactly what you are going through. My ex husband got the phone call at 2 a.m. on 11/16. He also said that it didn't last long. I did get some comfort though when I pulled up the website for the recruit depot for Parris Island and there was a picture of my son standing tall at attention. It is the very first picture that is shown on there and he is the first on there in line. I was so excited when I saw that. I'm anxiously waiting for that first letter also. I wish you the best and we will just have to be patient and strong for our sons.

Posted by: Maria Cook on 11/23/2010

Audrey LePage Avatar

My son left for boot camp on 11/15/10 - I am so proud of him! I cannot believe how much I miss him. I am still waiting to get my first letter from him! Thanksgiving will be especially hard for my daughter and I to get through without him this year. It's the holiday that we have the family over for and he's always been such a big help in setting everything up. His recruiter has been so patient with me - he's told me I can call him anytime with questions or concerns!

Posted by: Audrey LePage on 11/23/2010

Mindy Johnston Avatar

My son left for boot camp on 11/15/2010 and it seems like it has been a month already. He is at Parris Island, SC. We received our letter today from his Senior DI. I can't wait to get an actual letter from him.

Posted by: Mindy Johnston on 11/22/2010

Jennifer Gamez Avatar

I waited for the call too from my husband. I was more than happy to receive it, I got to get a few, I love you's. We have a daughter that just turned one in August. I can not wait to send him letters ;) Hope to hear more stories from you!

Posted by: Jennifer Gamez on 11/21/2010

Leigh Bages Avatar

Supporter

I wish you and your family the best of luck getting through this difficult time without your son! I hope your holidays bring you joy surrounded by family & friends to ease the sadness. My boyfriend also left for boot camp on 11/15. He's in Parris Island, SC. Although, I do not know how horrible it must feel for a mother to miss her son, he has been my whole world since we met & I miss him so much. It's really a sickening feeling. I was able to talk to him twice during the day he left though because he called me from the airports so I haven't heard from him since 7:00 p.m that Monday night. His dad received his "call" at 12:30 a.m EST. He said that we would receive the first letter or post card within 7-9 days so I'm praying I get a letter from him by Thanksgiving. I never imagined how unbelievably hard this would be but I wouldn't leave him for the world--he has made me the happiest I have ever been and I am so proud of him! He'll always have my support. There are only 83 more days left until Graduation & needless to say I can't wait!

Posted by: Leigh Bages on 11/19/2010

Rena Eure Avatar

Our son also left 11/15/2010 and I received his call 11/16/2010 at 10:40 pm. His call lasted about 10 seconds, I told him we loved him, but I don't think he heard me. It was brief, but was I was glad to hear his voice. He is in Parris Island, SC. We miss him so much. It seems every moment of the day, I think about him and what he is doing and going through. This time is hard because of the holidays coming soon, but we will get though it with God's help. I can't wait to receive his letters so we can communicate with him. We are truely proud of our son for wanting to become One of The Few The Proud, US Marine.

Posted by: Rena Eure on 11/19/2010

Jerry Hunt Avatar

Supporter

:) Mrs. Logsdon you sound just like my mom, or what I'm sure she'll sound like, I can't wait to leave for mcrd San Diego March 14, 2011 please keep us updated with more stories

Posted by: Jerry Hunt on 11/18/2010