Lisa Tolson Avatar

Today's the day!

Posted By: Lisa Tolson 11-01-10

Our son leaves for Parris Island today... what a mix of emotions! Pride and anxiety swirl in my stomach! I know he will do fine, but it's always hard to watch your kids go into the unknown... knowing you can't protect them or make everything alright anymore. He's a good boy with a great life in front of him...it's just hard as a mom to say goodbye and know I won't see him for 13 weeks. But, the caravan is already forming for that trip to graduation...and we know it will be a great day...ooohrah! Good luck son...we are so proud of the man you are becoming!

Elsie  Furlonge Avatar

Just got the call, my son arrived safely. I filled with mix emotions as well. I'm proud and scared for what is awaiting him. I know that he will persevere and do well but as a mom I can't help but worry. Nick your family and friends are proud of you and are praying for a quick 13 weeks... will see you at graduation.

Posted by: Elsie Furlonge on 01/25/2011

tina jones Avatar

as a supporting your Son, send stamps and a calling card,that helps,incase he needs to call,and there limited to have free time,during training. This helped my daughter and Yes, Pray,pray pray for him,and his unit..wishing you the best, a proud mom also..good luck!

Posted by: tina jones on 02/18/2011

Lisa Tolson Avatar

Hard to believe we will be leaving in just over a week to head to Parris Island...I feel like I just wrote my original post a few days ago and soon he will be a U.S. Marine! We look forward to hearing about all of his experiences and most of all to seeing him in person! What an interesting ride it has been! We continue to pray for his successful completion of the tasks at hand...foremost the Crucible...his health and for his entire platoon as they continue through the last part of their quest to become Marines! OOHRAH!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 01/18/2011

Tammy Thornton Avatar

Lisa...The feeling you have in the pit of your stomach and the ache in your heart are perfectly normal. There is no way for a parent to be prepared to send their son/daughter to boot camp. Lucky for him it sounds like your son will have some amazing support and encouragement from home during his 13 weeks at PI. Your letters will be vital to his success. The recruits look forward to mail call and it's the highlight at the end of each day. You should have his address and platoon number within 14 days. Start writing to him now so you'll have a stack to send when that info does arrive. You will become very close friends with your mail carrier...LOL.
Chin up Mom!!

Posted by: Tammy Thornton on 01/18/2011

Yesenia Berbiar Avatar

My son left on the 10th as well. He's in San Diego. I haven't stopped crying. My head hurts, my stomach is in knots and my heart aches! You're right about the mixed emotions and how we know that they will do fine, however its the unknown and not being able to protect them anymore that hurts the most. My son's dream is to be a Marine, and I know that his dream will come true. My prayers go out to all of our boys & girls!! A special for all the mom's.
I love you son!! I am so proud of you and cant wait to see you on graduation day!

Posted by: Yesenia Berbiar on 01/12/2011

Lisa Tolson Avatar

Cara...it seems like an eternity, especially that first week, but hang in there it goes surprisingly fast! We will be going to graduation in less than 3 weeks now and it seems like I just wrote that original post yesterday. Write to him often...put 2-3 days of letters in an envelope each time that way you get to write as often as you like but he won't gain any unnecessary "attention" from his drill instructors. He can read them as he has time even if he can't read them all at once.

Be proud of your brother, he is doing something that not everyone can. It's hard for us to understand it sometimes, but as you become part of the Marine community, you will see what a wonderful "family" he is gaining. There is a lot of support out there for you and your family so take advantage of it and it will help you through.

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 01/11/2011

Cara Fuller Avatar

Family

My little brother left early this morning, and I feel the same way!

Posted by: Cara Fuller on 01/10/2011

Jeniffer Bierman Avatar

I received that same letter today, I also received a letter from my husband saying he got my first two letters. He's still unsure if I've gotten any of his letters though, but he should soon get the letter I sent him telling him I got his letters. I'm hoping that with the change of address they'll begin to get the letters quicker. I'm so glad we can at least communicate through letters. It is so exciting to get them in the mail. And yes, we're almost in week 4!! How exciting... I feel 1/27 is going to get here sooner than expected.:) Thank you Lisa!

Posted by: Jeniffer Bierman on 11/19/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

Hi, Everyone!
Just received a letter yesterday that informed us that the original address that they sent us was incorrect. That may be the answer as to why our Recruits have not gotten any mail from us yet. What a disappointment! Hopefully the Parris Island staff will reroute the wayward mail and they will begin receiving things soon. (Like the protein bar/vitamin package that to the original address!)

The letters we have received from our son have been very good and confirm to me that he did make the right decision for him by enlisting. He sounds focused and positive...excellent news for us!

Keep the faith everyone...they know we wouldn't forget about them and now that they know they sent us the wrong address, that should ease their (our) minds if they (we) were worried. Communication should improve now.

Plus, they have made it almost 3 weeks...oooohrah!!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/19/2010

Jeniffer Bierman Avatar

Thank you Lisa!:) I'm really hoping they get to him soon, it breaks my heart every time he asks me why I haven't written.

Posted by: Jeniffer Bierman on 11/16/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

We received an actual handwritten letter from our son yesterday. It was dated Nov 11 and was our first since the "form letter". I would assume that it takes a little while for our letters to reach them as they would have to go to the main mail depot at Parris Island, and then be distributed to the correct platoons. I'm sure it's not a quick process, plus there was probably quite a deluge of mail once everyone received the address, so hopefully it will speed up as training progresses and then volume of mail evens out. I'm sure that they may even have to "inspect" any incoming mail as well.
Hang in there, one thing you will need to learn as a military wife is that you need to adjust to military time...all things happen at the military's pace and we cannot rush it (or slow it down, as the case may be). Rest assured that he will receive your letters...and he will be glad to have them!
I hope that everyone is finding the journey to be a little better as time goes on...not necessarily easier, but at least better! I really think having the ability to hear from our Recruits and send them letters makes the process a lot better. Just remember to encourage you future Marine and ensure him/her that what they are doing is a noble calling and we will be so glad to see them Jan 28th!!
Semper Fi!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/16/2010

Jeniffer Bierman Avatar

I've received three more letters. He doesn't seem to have received any of my letters and I sent out the 1st one on 11/5. Does anyone know how long it takes them to get letters? Someone told me it takes them 10 days to get it. One of the letters I received was dated 11/12, so I'm wondering if it only takes a few days to get to me, why does it take so long to get to them?

Posted by: Jeniffer Bierman on 11/15/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

Our letter was waiting in our mailbox last night when I got home from work...what a great thing to come home to! I have never been so excited about a "form letter"! We shared his address with everyone last night so hopefully the letters will start being sent tomorrow...no mail service today :(

I know we all are glad to finally have a line of communication with our Recruits! Make sure you let them know how proud we are!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/11/2010

Jeniffer Bierman Avatar

I got the letter with the address today:) It was exciting to receive. I hope everyone gets theirs soon:)

Posted by: Jeniffer Bierman on 11/10/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

Yvette...thanks for the encouragement. I know we all appreciate it!

I totally agree about the time of year as well! I have hear many stories about those fleas/gnats...and I'm glad that is one less thing they have to worry about during their time at Parris Island! I can't imagine standing at attention having to deal with those.

I wasn't sure if they would be in Dress Blues for graduation or not...I was hoping so, but didn't know for sure. That will be quite impressive and I can't wait to see my son in that uniform! I'm sure he will look great in his BDU's (if they still call them that) as well, but there is something about the Marine Dress Blues that is always AWESOME!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/10/2010

Yvette Metzger Avatar

Well I'm not the parent of a Marine.........but I am a spouse of a Marine. Just wanted to let you know that you should be comforted in the fact that they are there this time of the year when it's cool. Because in the summer the sand fleas are horrible. I know it's very hard but you are going to just swell with pride on the day they are graduating and you see them on the parade deck in their Dress Blues. My husband was a Drill Instructor there from 99 to 02 and I would go to every graduation and just swell with pride myself. God Bless you all and hang in there.

Posted by: Yvette Metzger on 11/10/2010

Kathleen Mahon Avatar

Lisa and Robert. That is a great idea on keeping in contact with other parent that are going through the same emotional roller coster over the next 13 weeks. My son left for bootcamp on Nov 1st. I am from Connecticut. Closer to you Robert.

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Posted by: Kathleen Mahon on 11/08/2010

Kathleen Mahon Avatar

My son left for Parris Island on the same day as yours did. The emotions are still going back and forth. These next 13 weeks are going to be filled with great Pride as well as saidness because of the holidays. But, the caravan has already started here as well for graduation.....OOOOHRAH is right. Good luck to both our boys for working hard to making there dreams come true.

So Proud of you son.

Posted by: Kathleen Mahon on 11/08/2010

Kathleen Mahon Avatar

So Proud of you son.

Posted by: Kathleen Mahon on 11/08/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

One week down! We are all one week closer to that January 28th graduation day!

We are still looking forward to getting the mailing address...my husband says it will be a month...I'm hoping for only 2-3 weeks which would put us only 1-2 weeks away at this point. Fingers are crossed! I am trying to limit my letter writing until we get the address, so he will not be overwhelmed with too much mail at once...since I know his girlfriend has probably 10 letters ready to go already! Still I want to be sure that he gets enough from me to know that I am thinking about him every day...such a juggling act!

Hang in there everyone! We can do this together and it will all be worth it when we see those young men in January! I am thankful to all who have posted and look forward to keeping in touch throughout our journey. Just as only fellow Marines know what our recruits are going through...only we know what we are going through...just as they are being strong, so shall we!

Semper Fi!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/08/2010

Reynold Murphree Avatar

Former Marine

I wish your son the success that the Marines have given me. I will always have the confidence and pride that I need thanks to the Corps. My only regret is that I did not stay in longer. Go to graduation if you really wish to experience the pride that only he as a Marine can display!! His life will change forever and the only limits he will now have is what he places on himself. Semper Fi

Posted by: Reynold Murphree on 11/06/2010

Bonita Durough Avatar

My son arrived at Parris Island November 1st from Birmingham, Alabama. We received his call just after 11pm Monday night. It was hard just to hang up the phone without saying I Love You! We are all so proud of his decision to join the United States Marine and know that this is going to be one of his greatest accomplishments in life. Be strong Son, we all love you!

Semper Fi!!!

Posted by: Bonita Durough on 11/04/2010

Robert Baur Avatar

You sure are much closer. We are almost at the Canadian border. It will be a long trip but well worth it. If you would like to contact us directly you can either reach us on facebook.

Posted by: Robert Baur on 11/03/2010

Mandi  Deuel Avatar

My boyfriend also left Nov 1st, 3 days down and I'm already 7 pages into my letter. Nice to know I'm not alone...

Posted by: Mandi Deuel on 11/03/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

We are in SC, but close to Charlotte, NC. Our trip will be about 4 hours or so...much less than yours.

This 3 month journey will be a long one for us along with our boys. The unknown for us and the (unfortunately) known for them. I told his girlfriend that we can give the Marines this 13-weeks because we know that it is an investment in thier future...nothing worth having is ever easy!

I'm glad to have others to share the emotional roller coaster with. I want to pour only positivity and encouragement into the letters we send him, so this is a great channel for all the other emotions we will be handling!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/03/2010

Robert Baur Avatar

That is about the same time we got our call. It helped some to at least hear his voice for the 10 second call. I hope we can get a group of parents together online to talk about our son's experiences over the next three months. Not sure were you are located but we are in Vermont.

Posted by: Robert Baur on 11/02/2010

Lisa Tolson Avatar

We received our call sometime between midnight and 12:30am. Just his voice, the script and a click...wow! It's almost surreal...you know they are really there now and it all begins for them...I didn't expect to be this emotional...and it comes out of nowhere!

Our son is our oldest child, we have a daughter who will be 19 in February. Even though he wasn't living with us anymore and he was "out on his own", I feel like he just left our house. I miss him more than I ever expected and it hasn't even been 24 hours! I feel like I need a D.I. telling me to "Suck it up, mom! What kind of example are you setting for your recruit. There is no crying in MY Marine Corps!" (Humor is what is going to have to get us all through the next 13 weeks!)
Mr. Baur, we definitely need to keep in touch with other parents who are on our same cycle schedule...I think it will definitely help all of us with what is sure to be a bumpy ride! It would be great to create a group that can provide support and then we can all meet in January to celebrate our boys' success and put some faces with all the stories that I'm sure we'll be sharing.

Semper Fi!

Posted by: Lisa Tolson on 11/02/2010

Robert Baur Avatar

Our son left today as well. It is almost 8PM and we are waiting for the scripted call tonight from him. He is the youngest of four children and although I though I was prepared for this I found out that I am not. I am a former Marine myself and know what he will be soon going through. This has been a dream of his for a long time and has worked very hard to be ready, but even knowing this I am still having a very difficult time not being selfish wanting him to come home. I am proud beyond description of him and cannot wait to see him again. Good luck and Semper Fi my son. I look forward to hearing from other parents as they go through the same gamut of emotions over the next several weeks. Mrs. Tolson there is a good chance our sons may end up in the same platoon however we will have to wait a week or so to find out.
God bless all the sons and daughters that serve our country and the parents that support them.

Posted by: Robert Baur on 11/01/2010