Lynda Torres Avatar

They're not your baby anymore-They are a United States Marine Now!

Posted By: Lynda Torres 09-16-10

My son is a recent graduate from MCRD Parris Island, SC; and the change in him was nothing short of amazing- it left me speechless. My baby has grown into more than just a man...he is one of THE FEW-THE PROUD- he is a United States Marine! I am a single mother and was worried that might hurt him on his journey through USMC boot camp and that was not the case. By raising my son alone without his father being in his life he actually was better prepared for the journey ahead of him. He learned to stand on his own two feet and never ever to give up or give in on himself or anyone else. He actually taught me to step back and see all I did was right and he stands very tall and proud now that he has completed his USMC Boot Camp. In my heart he will always be my baby, but to the world he is a United States Marine and I am so proud of him and all other United States Marines. Being a single parent is hard at times but your babies will learn the inner strength from you that they will need to get through their journey. Be proud and support your daughter/ son's interest in the USMC, visit the recruiters office, meet the recruiters more than once, don't be afraid to ask questions and keep an open-mind to all you will learn. When your daughter/ son makes the decision to join the U. S. Marines- support them! Stand behind them and make sure they know your trust their decision to join and then step back and let them find their way into a future that will open doors they could not otherwise open. Be supportive of your new Marine- they will earn a title that no one can ever take away from them and when you see them at their graduation you will cry tears of Pride and joy at the transformation they made from your baby to a United States Marine! Love your new U. S. Marine and stand by them - they now have a sense of belonging and are part of the greatest family on the entire world- the United States Marine Corp. God Bless our USMC!

Emma Hathorne Avatar

Family

My name is Emma and I have a cousin who has recently enlisted in the marines. He's the son of my dad's brother and is a close cousin, even though we don't see each other often. He lives in Vermont with his brother and parents. He is 18 years old is currently finishing his last year in high school. He will begin his basic training sometime this summer. I don't know which job he's interested in, but if he graduates he will go on to become an official United States Marine. And the truth is, I don't want him to. Because if he doesn't come back, my family will never be the same again. And the chances of that happening are just too high. I know that you are proud of your son, and you have every right to be. But the thing is, my cousin isn't a fighter. He plays football and is a big kid, but he just isn't a fighter. So I'm just wondering, how am I supposed to handle this kind of situation?

Posted by: Emma Hathorne on 01/05/2013

latarsha moore Avatar

This post is very helpful and all the comments i read. I saw my son becoming a man before he left so i knowhe will grow even more. I am do proud of him. I still cry that he isnt here with me for the holidays but i know he is wherehe need and want to be. He was so anxious to go when they changed his date from dec 3rd to dec17th this year he was disappointed. When the fay came for him to leave he was excited. He told me he was ready to gethis life started. His recruiter was very good with my son. My son father is not in his life but he found someone he felt he could talk to in the staff sargeant. I cant wait to get my firstl letter. I have written leyters from me, his brother and sisyer to send him. Graduation date is March 15 so I am looking to see him then. Thank you USMC for all you do.

Posted by: latarsha moore on 12/22/2012

Sandra Burns Avatar

Hi Lynda, when did your son graduate? My daughter graduated on December 3rd from PI as well. Reading your story, I related so much with it. My daughter's father hasn't been around, but my husband has. He has been like a father for her, but you know that is not the same thing, and as mothers we always feel that we have to protect that child more because of our double role of mother and father. I agree about everything you wrote. My daughter changed a lot, it was a different person. I have to say that she has always been a good child, but she is just different now. She appreciates every thing, she got closer to me and the rest of the family. I was expecting her to be spending time with her friends, and she did, but most of the time was dedicated to the family. She is more mature, and specially more confident on every thing she does, more independent, and specially proud of being a MARINE, and as you said, that is something that no body can take away from them. Now she is in Jacksonville for MCT.

Posted by: Sandra Burns on 12/16/2010

Jan  Dougal Avatar

Lynda, thanks so much for your post. My son left on Sept 13th for Parris Island and I too am very proud. It helps to hear from other parents what the experience was like from their perspective. Any insight into what my son will experience in SC?

Posted by: Jan Dougal on 09/29/2010

Lynda Torres Avatar

To all reading this... you will swell up with pride and cry everytime they call home, they know this and they might cry too-let them. They will share things with you and YOU MUST LISTEN and let them share with you there new experiences-DO NOT INTERUPT THEM. Do not get upset or pressure them for answers about anything they do not answer you on, they can not tell you everything all the time. They are not hiding anything-they just have a different train of thoiught now. They are a different person now. They have made new friends and are starting to experience life as a U. S. Marine, there will be more transformations for both of you so enjoy them. My son called yesterday for a few minutes and I cried ust to hear his voice and let me tell you it was like Christmas morning when you were a child and opened the gift you wanted more than anything else. The joy of hearing his voice was undescribably great. The boot camp experiences have been through will have them reflecting on their lives before the U.S. Marines and they will see things differently. They will say "Thank You " to you for being there for them through the whole experience. Write to them while they are in Boot Camp even if you do not get a letter back right away. keep writing - per my son and my own experiebce being prior military those letters from home get you through everyday life in the military boot camp. They need to hear that you are okay, that you still support them-still love them and still believe in them. Send them encouragement through your letters, encourage them to continue their journey talk about your plans to come see them at Family Day and Graduation. Share funny stories with them, make them feel like they are still connected to home through the letters and take lots of pictures on Family Day and Graduation Day of them, share pictures from home with them that day. Always remember they are becoming and adult now- they will be a United States Marine after the 13-weeks and they will still need you-don't baby them- love them supprt them and believe in them-you will not regret your decision or theirs when you see them march into the Family Day Ceremony.

Posted by: Lynda Torres on 09/20/2010

Chris Christian Avatar

Lynda,
I too wondered about the single mom thing but I think you're right my kids are very independent because of it. My son left Aug 23 and I have received a few letters. He said 7 dropped out but he is still hanging in there so I think he will make it through. I can't wait to see him graduate. I am so proud of him!

Posted by: Chris Christian on 09/19/2010

Bonnie Fletcher Avatar

Thank you so much for posting this! My son left a week ago and we are very close and my heart has been sad and I have worried but your words of encouragement and strength will help all of us Moms!

Posted by: Bonnie Fletcher on 09/17/2010

christina n/a Avatar

COngrats on your son accomplishment. i hope my boyfriend comes back like that and comes back a better man and a faithful one too.. god bless your son and family.

Posted by: christina n/a on 09/17/2010